Vinod Menon
Vinod Menon, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 1.5 year experience working as a Tech Support Agent for Apple iPods and iTunes for US customers.
51110040

I used to be able to clear screen after using Safari by clicking

I used to be able to clear screen after using Safari by clicking on small x in white circle. Since updating yesterday I can't find how to do this
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.
I am Vinod. I will try my best to help you resolve this issue?
What device is it? iphone/ipad/ipod touch?
Did you mean you don't see that x button next to the address in the safari? Or did you mean the x button is frozen?
Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I pad

Can't find x button

Thank you, Madelene.
So what I understand is when you tap inside that address bar, the text gets highlighted but the x button is nowhere? Is my assumption correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes - so screen stays with, say Tesco, until I put in another address.

I am bit confused with that statement. Are you talking about the x button shown in the following screenshot?

graphic

Anyhow, let's try a reset first. Press and hold the power button and the home button together until you see an apple logo.

Let me know whether that resolves your issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Am sorry to be so slow have tried above but didn't see apple logo. Is home button one at front of screen?

yes, home button is the one at the front of the screen (the big round button).
When you hold down the power button and the home button together for 10-15 sec, the ipad will go off automatically and come back on with an apple logo.
Let me know if you still don't get any apple logo.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have apple logo and am back to safari but still cant see how to clear screen. should i double click on something?

By "clear screen", did you mean the whole webpage should clear off OR did you mean only the address line should clear off?
And I believe you have gone through the screenshot I sent you in a previous message. There I indicated an x button. Is that the x button you are talking about? (I am asking this because there more than 1 x button in safari)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am in late 70's so perhaps am not using right terminology. Before I updated was able to go to Amazon, ***** ***** etc see what I wanted to see and then have clear screen by tapping x button. Think that was the button you indicated. All I want is to know is how to bring this button up on screen.
Just tap inside the address bar. Does the text get highlighted and do you see an x button next to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes text highlighted but when I tap it tells me css/homepage html - but no cross

Do you see a + button as shown in the following screenshot?

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, but when I tap it it changes to curved upward arrow

That is crazy....Because the + button is supposed to create a new tab.
Let's try this. Tap inside the address bar. This will highlight the text inside, won't it?
Now, click on that + button. Does it clear the address line entry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does but it still doesn't clear the screen. Is it possible to uninstall the last update - was so comfortable with using ipad before.

Unfortunately, we can't go back to an old update...:( And I don't there is any change to the way safari works with the new update.
Let's reset safari and see whether that resolves your issue.
On your ipad, go to settings > safari.
Click on "clear history and website data".
Now try to use safari. Let me know whether it resolves your issue.
Vinod Menon, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Over 1.5 year experience working as a Tech Support Agent for Apple iPods and iTunes for US customers.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you - have rediscovered x button.

That is great to know..:)
May be safari was just frozen.
Have a wonderful day!!
If we are done, I would appreciate if you can rate my service.