Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I am using Word 2011 for Mac OSX. I have document over 200

I am using Word 2011 for Mac OSX. I have document over 200 pages long. But it prints pages at different page/font sizes for different sections of the document even though I have set the layout/margins/page setup the same for the whole document & each section separately. These strange print arrangements remain when I save the document as a PDF. I am ready to publish the document as a book, and now everything has gone haywire. Please help!

LATER COMMENT

I forgot to mention that I am using a non-standard page size of 8" x 11". Each time I print out a selection of pages different pages are printed at different sizes - these errors all seem completely random.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using just answer! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.
In the Home Tab / Styles group, click on the dialog launcher on the right end of the Styles group name bar. Click on the options hyperlink at the bottom of the style pane. Then set the Style Pane Options to Show: All Styles. I also prefer to set sort:Alphabetical .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid I do not understand what the Styles options have to do with the problems I have with printing out the document to ensure each page is printed out at the same size. I don't know what you mean by the options hyperlink or why alphabetical is relevant. Please explain why the printing is messed up, and why the same problem arises when I save the document as a PDF. The document looks absolutely fine on-screen, so why does the printing come out wrongly? And how can I rectify this problem? Thanks very much!

ADDED LATER

I don't see how your original answer related to my question. I'd be grateful if you would explain the issues mentioned above. Thank you! Judith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ADDED LATER

That was to make sure all fonts were printing correctly if not make sure your paper size is adjusted and verify in print preview what the document looks like
if it still looks off adjust the scaling option
apple icon then System Preferences -> Print & Scan -> change default paper size.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I changed the default paper size in System Preferences and it made no difference, I'm afraid.

I also checked the size in print preview and the document looks normal and correct. But yes, it is to do with wrong scaling, but I can't tell it's wrong until I print it, and it's scaled differently each time no matter what I set it at.

What else can I do?

ADDED LATER

I noticed that the wrong scaling affects individual sections of the document, not random pages. There is nothing different about the printing/layout instructions for any of these sections - they are identical to the rest of the document.

I look forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I look forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I haven't heard from you regarding my still unresolved problem.

I look forward to your reply.

Let me ask you this when you print with a normal letter head does it show correctly?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes it does.

It is only in this document with the different sections that this has ever happened.

can you take a screen shot of the printing dimensions and also post what font you are using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I will - but how do I take a screen shot?

I'm using Times New Roman font.

Press Command (⌘)-Shift-3. The screenshot is added to your desktop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've taken the screenshot ok, so where shall I email it to?

In the text box on this page you should see a paperclip select it and then attach the file.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope I've sent you 3 screenshots! Screenshots 1 and 2 are pages that are not printing properly from that section of the document. Screenshot 3 is a page that is printing ok from the previous section.

If you haven't received any screenshots then I guess I'm not sure yet how to send them!

hmm they still are not showing you can use the site below to upload files as well. just send me the link it gives you after uploading
http://wikisend.com/
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The 3 uploaded screenshots are at:

http://wikisend.com/download/316706/Screen Shot 1 2014-09-24 at 16.41.33.png

http://wikisend.com/download/185508/Screen Shot 2 2014-09-24 at 16.38.50.png

http://wikisend.com/download/454012/Screen Shot 3 2014-09-24 at 16.44.35.png

Thanks can you click the tool bar icon that is to the left of the search box inside word Then click the first icon looks like a backwards P in bold. Here take another screen shot so I can see what styles are applied.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done as you asked. New screenshot is at

http://wikisend.com/download/496292/Screen Shot 2014-09-24 at 17.33.25.png

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have to go out now for a couple of hours, and will be available again after 8.30pm BST.

Thanks!

Judith

I see theissue in the last pic where it says recommended change that to all.
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks - Could you explain what you have discovered and what I need to do to correct the error?

Judith

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have changed the List to All Styles, but it makes no difference to the wrong scaling of the pages in question. What to do next?

Well everything is set now in word the only other issue that could be happening is the drivers for your printer. If you can tell me the model number of your printer i can find the latest drivers :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My printer is HP Photosmart C4585.

If it is the printer driver that is faulty then why do these false settings also occur when I save the file as a PDF?

Thank you. Judith

The reason being is the pdf system also uses the OSX printing system. What were are going to do is reset the whole printing system then re install your drivers.
Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Choose Print & Scan from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
Select your operating system from the link below then download the driver for your printer then install it.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=3757825
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just got back from work!

I have done the - and + tasks but I can't find how to "Reset printing system… from the contextual menu." More guidance needed please!

Thanks very much. Judith.

IF you right click on the printer list it wil say reset printing system
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a right click on my wireless mouse!

Press the Control key. Press and hold the Control (Ctrl) key while you click the mouse button.
This is identical to right-clicking with a 2-button mouse.
You may release the Control key after clicking.
This method works for a 1-button mouse or MacBook trackpad, or with the built-in button on the standalone Apple Trackpad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've managed most of this and got on to the HP support web site for the printer I have, but there are no download options!

You have to select your version of the mac osx
it will be under update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've done this, but there is still no download option available. The update just puts back the original printer driver software, and I get the same printing problem. If the software is corrupted what I can I do?

http://tinyurl.com/nruod5w
try the above link thats the direct download. IF not then clicking on the apple icon and selecting system update then seeing if you have any printer updates would be our last option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again. I did download successfully from the site you mentioned. Unfortunately, that made no difference! So I tied the updates and there were no new updates required. Would it make any difference if I bought a new printer!?

Before we do that let me verify that you are using just one type of font correct?
if yes then do the following steps
Close all applications.
open the application folder.
select utilities.
Launch Terminal
Enter the following command at the prompt and press Return: atsutil databases -removeUser
Enter the following command at the prompt and press Return: atsutil databases -shutdown
Enter the following command at the prompt and press Return: atsutil databases -ping
close Terminal
restart mac
attempt to print again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have followed all your commands! And, sad to say, the printing is still scaled incorrectly!

New printer required!?

One last thing before new printer. CAn you try and print this off another mac or pc computer that is also connected to the printer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's a very good idea! I shall have to try this later using my old laptop instead of my current desktop. I'll get back to you once I've done this - hopefully in the next couple of hours. Judith

sounds good ill be here :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

WOW! The printing is perfect on my 2011 laptop which uses OS X 10.5

(My desktop uses OS X 10.9). But the memory etc is too poor to even download the file to the laptop.

What does all this mean!?

The fonts on your other mac are corrupt we can re-install them but we would need to re-install the whole OSX.
please remember to rate this response.
restart your computer while holding down the Command (?) and R keys
or
insert the mac osx disk that came with your mac and restart while holding the c key
Then select your language and select to install the OSX.
reinstalling will not delete your data.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This sounds really really scary!

I have the install disc for v10.5, while I have v10.9.5 running on my current machine. Can I download the upgrades or have I got the wrong install disc?

Well 10.9 has the software built in and you will not need a disk
just restart your computer while holding down the Command and R keys till you see the apple icon and spinning gear.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Johnny - I tried this but it said it couldn't install OSX as I wasn't connected to the internet!

Let me know what I need to do next, but I'm really struggling with this, and I've reached my limit of coping for today. I'll have another go tomorrow as it's been a long day!

YOu will need either wifi or to connect your mac to your modem this is must to do get to the tools we need.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Johnny, I have re-installed OSX and I'm afraid I am still getting the same problem. I am now at my wit's end and don't know what to do next!

Judith

Do you have the printer connected differently ie cable or wifi then the other mac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, they are both USB connections

Ok then its still the system and we might have to delete everything and start over if the following doesnt work
download this program and have it clean out all your caches
http://joel.barriere.pagesperso-orange.fr/dl/109/OnyX.dmg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

a Mac friend of mine ran OnyX for me yesterday!

Ok one last thing and if this doesnt work ill opt out to have other techs look at the issue.
click the apple icon
select system preferences
then user accounts
then click the plus icon (+)
and create a new user that has the account type as admin
once the account is created click the apple icon then log off or sign out
go to the new user and try and print the document
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, I did try that but when it all went through the screen showed some software programs but no files or folders, nor even the HD! So Word wasn't there and neither was the document file! Shall I throw the computer in the river? (and myself?!)

open a folder then go to your apps list on the left hand side. It should be installed there unless you did not select to have the program install on all users.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My MAC friend set up the list of users and I've discovered that any new names do not have permission to see any apps, folders, docs, etc. He set up an admin account for himself, but he's away at the moment.

Oh I see thats not good You should have the passwords to all admins on your mac. Either way ill be here just post back when you are able to contacthim.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I'm not happy with that either! He should be back on Monday afternoon, so I'll contact him then for the pw or he might come over and help me.

Hope you have a great weekend, and thank you for all your thorough and patient suggestions.

I'll be back in touch early next week.

Judith

Sounds good Judith I hope you have a great weekend as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** am still tearing my hair out here! I did re-install OSX successfully but it made no difference. I heard that Word2011 doesn't work well with custom-sized pages. But it prints ok from my partner's mac and we used the same download disc for Word2011. So I re-installed Word2011 on my Mac and it's even worse now! More pages print at the wrong size than before! I still have to check using a different printer, if I can. I don't know what else to do!

I have to go off to work now, but will be back on-line later this afternoon.

Judith