Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My Ipad 2 is in trouble since I downloaded IOS8, can I change

Customer Question

My Ipad 2 is in trouble since I downloaded IOS8, can I change it back to IOS7 please.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Apple is still signing the old firmware, so it might be possible to downgrade. Do you have iTunes installed on your computer ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Is this iPad WiFi + 3G model or just the Wifi model ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
3 G, but there is no SIM card installed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
On your computer, first download the firmware file from here : http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS7.1/031-4791.20140627.5r2nx/iPad2,2_7.1.2_11D257_Restore.ipsw

Let me know once you downloaded it, so we can move to next step.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's telling me that Safari cannot download this file.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Try to download it with different browser like Firefox or Chome. Get Firefox from here : https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Then download the firmware with Firefox. Let me know how it goes
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.

Once you downloaded the firmware, we can downgrade your iPad to 7.1.2 version

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The message I get is that Firefox is currently unsupported by IOS devices.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Colin, are you downloading from your iPad itself ? You have to download the file from your computer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ashik, I'm away from home and can't do that until this evening, about four hours from now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You have to use your computer to downgrade it. Or If you tell me the problems you are having with your ipad now, I might be able to help you with that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On a web-site that I use daily, it has now become very slow and sometimes freezes. Also when trying to up-load photos, the Ipad sits for 5/10 minutes and then tells me thatbthe network has been lost. It was perfect on IOS7
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
First we can reset your iPad and see if it works or not. Press and hold down the Power button and Home button at the same time until it shows the Apple logo. When you see the Apple logo, release the buttons and let it boot.

Then goto Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

If that didn't work, then when you get home, download the firmware file I sent you and reply back to me and we can continue troubleshooting
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Ashik. I will do what you suggest.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome Colin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ashik. I did the reset and it made no difference. I've downloaded the firmware file on the iMac, what do i do next please?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Colin, sorry for the delay. Follow the steps below carefully.

Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer

On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.

Now, hold down Option key on your keyboard and click Restore button. This will ask you to select the firmware file. Select the file you've downloaded. Click OK

Your iPad will be restored now to older version.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Colin, I'm just checking. How is it going ? Were you able to make it work ? If not, please let me know and we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ashik. Sorry for the delay. While following your instructions last night our Virginmedia connection went down and I lost all Internet services. It was not working this morning and I am away from home now until Saturday evening, so can do no more until then. As soon as I have been able to try again, I will reply to you.
Regards,
Colin.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok Colin. You can get back to me at any time you want and I will be happy to continue helping you.

If possible try to get back to me as soon as possible because if Apple stopped signining old firmwares like iOS 7, then you will not be able to downgrade.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fingers crossed, Saturday pm is the first chance I'll have.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ok we can continue on Saturday