Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I want to upload photos from my iphone onto my mac to save

I want to upload photos from my iphone onto my mac to save them privately, and they've gone straight into a dropbox I share with my work colleagues. I want to remove them from dropbox and keep them private. How can I do this, and how can I prevent it from happening again?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Just remove them from your Dropbox folder then right click on the Dropbox icon at the top of your screen then you will see a little gear at the bottom right go to that to Preferences / Import and turn off Camera Uploads

Customer:

Thanks , Mike... I removed them , and put the folder on my desktop. Then , I followed your instruction, but I can see no indication that the automatic import has been deactivated. When I right clic on the iconand go to preferences, it looks as though it's still set to import all photos from iphoto. On the meantime, how do I put these photos in iphoto? That's what I wanted to do inthe first place

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK don't move the Dropbox folder or you won't get the updates you want to get. There is a checkmark next to Enable under Import

Mike the Mac Medic :

Full Size Image

Mike the Mac Medic :

To make sure your photos are gone go to the Dropbox website and login and delete them directty

Mike the Mac Medic :

To move them to iPhoto simply open iPhoto and go to File / Import to Library or just drag them to the Library

Customer:

If I do want to upload photos and videos for work , do I want to uncheck that box?... I only want to make sure my private photos don't go I there when I'm trying to get them stored on my computer in iphoto.

Customer:

When I moved the folder , it did leave dropbox...

Mike the Mac Medic :

Under General make sure Show Desktop notifications is set to on

Customer:

What do you mean, "general?

Mike the Mac Medic :

If you are using the same device for work and personal photos you can't turn that off. It will ask each time for a new device and you can tell it to never upload photos from this device, but not if it is the same device.

Customer:

Oh, ok! Thank you! x