Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

how do i activate my ipad 2 after reset

how do i activate my ipad 2 after reset
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer / tablet professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Can you press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then let me know what happens. Is there any error or message?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

screen goes black with the apple logo in the centre of the screen

Does it show anything else after a couple of minutes or so? What's showing on the iPad's screen now? Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no.

The screen is blank and looks like ipad is turned off

Sorry, do you have a windows or mac computer? If yes, can you make sure the iTunes program is installed on the computer, then connect the iPad to the computer, and see if the iTunes program on the computer sees the iPad and restore/fix it there?

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i have windows pc. I'll try iTunes and get back to you on how it goes.

thank you

You're welcome. Please take your time and stay on this web page in order to communicate with me. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

this message came up on screen while on itunes

We're sorry, we are unable to continue with your activation at this time.

Please try again later, or contact customer care.

while iTunes was trying to acrivate my ipad, it switched on and off

Sorry, was this ipad jailbreaked?

Is there a SIM card in this iPad?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What is jailbreaked?

Yes, I have a 3 SIM card in this ipad

Power off the tablet, then remove the SIM card, then turn it back on and check. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

still getting the searching... at top left of screen next to wifi symbol.

iPad still not activating. Saying: -

"Your iPad could not be activated because the activation server is temprarily unavailable. Try again later or try using iTunes........"

Now powered off and on.

Without the SIM card inserted, do this again: press and hold both the Power (On / Off) button and the Home button (which is located right below the screen) together for at least 10 seconds, until the Apple logo appears, then wait a bit, then does it let you connect to Wi-Fi? (Go to Settings -> Wi-Fi as needed.) Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

when the iPad powers up lists languages ..... I selected British English. Then asks me to select my country or region so selected United Kingdom. Then asked to choose a Wi-Fi network so chose my home network. Now says "it will take a few minutes to activate your iPad"

Now powered off and on again.

Please try:

• Press & hold the power button on the iPad until it lets you slide to turn off, then turn off.
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes program on your computer (make sure you iTunes program is up to date.)
  • On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After about 10 seconds release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

Please see the video at the website below ; it's easier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iTunes is saying it is downloading the software for this iPad and will restore your iPad when complete.

The screen on iPad is blank.

Please wait for download, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

will do, thank you.

You're welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

message came up on itunes: -

"There was a problem downloading the software for the Ipad. An unknown error occurred (9006).

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later."

Sorry, can you disable your antivirus/security program temporarily, then try again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

how do I disable antivirus/security program?

What's your antivirus/security program name? thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

its AVG

1. Open the AVG Program.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Advanced settings.
  3. Click Temporarily disable AVG protection in the menu on the left side.
  4. Select the Temporarily disable AVG protection check box, and then click OK.
  5. Choose how long you want the protection to be disabled and whether to disable the Firewall as well, and then clickDisable real-time protection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I have done this and will try iTunes again and get back to you.

You're welcome. OK. Please get back to me whenever you can. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it took a while to complete. Now got this message:-

"There was a problem downloading the software for the iPad. The disk could not be read from or written to.

Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active or try again later"

Restart the computer, then run the restore again in the iTunes program on the computer, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have done this, and will let you know the outcome, thank you

You're welcome. OK, thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now have this message:-

"The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occured (14)"

I have the apple logo on my iPad and a grey coloured line with white for a short part.

I'm sorry, it is strange. Do you have another computer you can try to fix the iPad with?

And/or do you have another USB cable to try?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I checked for a newer version of iTunes and downloaded it. That seams to have worked. I now have the software on my iPad but no contacts or other data that was there before. The search bar has gone and everything else looks normal.
Thank you for all your help.

You're welcome. Great. You never know when something goes wrong with the iPad (or computer), so I recommend to back up. On the iPad, you should go to Settings -> iCloud and sign in / enable iCloud, so that it will back up your data. (For computer, I recommend backing up to an external USB drive.) If you need anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on a face icon / service option below, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience.