Freddy M.
Freddy M., IT Technician
Experience:  Years of experience.
15852642

I have a frozen Mac. Initially froze when left on for a few

I have a frozen Mac. Initially froze when left on for a few hours but with no programmes open, just. Background. Re booting led to Apple log and spinning wheel for a few minutes then a no entry sign with spinning wheel.
Have tried rebooting holding Cmd-R and other variations but nothing. Don't want to lose all my photos and other stuff so not keen to re install......any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
Start your Mac, then immediately hold the Shift key. This performs a Safe Boot. It can take a little longer than normal to start.
If it starts up properly that way restart the Mac normally and see if anything changes.

If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It didn't work Freddy
Nothing happened I have grey screen and no Apple logo at all now
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Shut down your Mac. If necessary, hold your Mac's power button for several seconds to force it to power down.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on your Mac.
Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the grey screen appears.
Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the start up sound for the second time.
Release the keys. If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue.
.
..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, all done......nothing. Released after second start up time and still have grey screen and no Apple logo!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Do you still have your OS X Install disc?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I do, I have disc 1 and 2
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Insert your Mac OS X use whichever is closest to the Mac OS X version installed on your Mac; do not use a startup disc which came with a different Mac or which contains an earlier version of Mac OS X).
Start up your Mac while holding the C key to start from the disc.
Once started from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Utility menu.

Note: If the gray screen issue persists and you can't start from the disc, go to the "Disconnect peripheral devices" section.
In Disk Utility, perform a disk repair of your Mac OS X volume; if no issues are found, perform a permissions repair as well. If issues are found during the disk repair, try repairing again.
After the Disk Utility operations are complete, restart without holding any keys.

.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can't get it to starts from disc......tried 4 separate times but just a grey screen. Can here disc rotating etc but nothing on screen
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Have you recently installed any new hardware or devices?
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, nothing.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
Darn, unfortunately then you would either need to take the Mac to a local technician or we would need to erase and reinstall. I however would recommend a technician instead because if you tell them to, they can usually backup your photos etc for you. They will normally do this by using an external enclosure with your hard drive removed from your machine. If you want to do an erase and reinstall you will lose everything but I can walk you through it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
.
You're welcome and I sincerely ***** ***** could have given you better news. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Mac.
.