Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

Hello I am trying to backup my iPhone to my mac. i would

I am trying to backup my iPhone to my mac. i would like the contacts and most importantly the text messages.
i have gone through the backup from file menu but it completed in less than a second so i don't think it backed up the messages. i don't have any music on the phone so i am assuming that is why is was so quick.
thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 3 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am excited to get started with you.

The best way to backup your iPhone is via iCloud. This backs up all of your contacts,calendar, photos taken on your phone, text messages and app data. It also keeps your mac and iPhone in sync with each other. To check if your iPhone is backing up to iCloud, click on settings on your iPhone and choose iCloud. Scroll down to storage and backup. If you are backing up to iCloud, all that is needed is to sign into iCloud on your mac. Click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose system preferences. Select iCloud and sign in.
If you only wish to backup via iTunes, click on File>Devices>Back Up. You can also check if your backup was completed by clicking on iTunes in the top menu>Preferences>Device. Your backup data and time are listed

Customer:

Michelle :

Hello, were you able to view my response

Customer:

i was trying not to use i cloud , but it seems it might be the only sensible solution , do you know if you can open text messages in could act or is it only for the purposes of restoring to an iPhone if lost ?

Customer:

in i cloud that should read

Michelle :

On your mac, there is an app called "Messages" so you will be able to view text messages only from other iPhone users. Other text messages are stored in the backup files that are not accessible. When you restored your phone from backup, your entire text history will also be restored

Michelle :

iCloud is the best and most effective option

Customer:

yes it seems so, many thanks i will go and play in the cloud

Michelle :

You are so welcome. Please let me know I can provide any additional assistance.