Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

my husband organises our iPhones and i believe he is tracking

Customer Question

my husband organises our iPhones and i believe he is tracking my iPhone through his phone without my permission. My phone can be tracked from my iPad at home, to which he has complete access. This is ok with me as I have often mislaid my phone in the past. As he pays the bill from our joint account, but I guess the apple account is in his name alone, do I have any way of finding out whether he has my phone GPS details on his phone to track me, or is it possible to divert texts and phone calls on the same number to an independent phone?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

I assume he is tracking you using iCloud's Find My iPhone feature. If you don't want him to track you, then you can turn off Find My iPhone option from Settings > iCloud.

You can also turn off the GPS, so he will not be able to track you with any application. Goto Settings, tap Privacy and turn off Location Services. Also, turn off Share My Location from there. If you turn off Location Services or Find My iPhone, then even you will not be able to track it if you lose it.

Update your iPhone to latest iOS 8.1 or later and make sure it is not jailbroken and he will not be able to install any third party spyware applications on it (check if there is a app named Cydia on it. If not, then it is not jailbroken. If there is, then let me know). As long as it is not jailbroken, then he will not be able to install any spyware applications on it which allows background tracking and data collection (calls, messages, chats etc).

If Find My iPhone is enabled, then he can track you and No, there is no other way to find out he has your GPS details.

You can divert the calls (call forwarding) from Settings > Phone > Call Forwarding.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, appreciate your advice.

I have no way of going onto his phone to check whether he has Cydia on it.

He has recently changed his iPhone to the iOS 8.1 and changed his password, I found out he was having a close 'friendship' with someone and having been caught he deleted all her texts and hence I think is tracking me to see if I am going to see a solicitor. I realise this is not your problem. He tried ( at my insistence) to retrieve the deleted texts using a program he paid for, but it only retrieved about 15 texts, all benign and as I saw hundreds of texts, 20-30 texts per day (too many to read), I think he may have permanently deleted them. Though he has agreed to go to the Apple store on Sunday to try to 'retrieve' them. I don't hold out much hope.

If I decide to call forward, is there any particular phone I need to use? Not bought a phone before. Can it be pay as you go? Presumably I can restore the function to my normal iPhone when I need to.

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You don't have to check his iPhone. Check your iPhone for cydia application. If there is a cydia application, that means your iPhone is jailbroken and anyone can install spyware application on your iPhone. Jailbroken means it is fully unlocked and can install any applications outside of AppStore/iTunes Store i.e unauthorized apps.

I understand you Sally. There are many applications out there to retrieve deleted contents from iPhone. The best is Wondershare Dr.Fone : http://www.wondershare.com/data-recovery/iphone-data-recovery.html

If you don't want him to track you, then you can turn off Location Services and Find My iPhone. If you turn off Location Services, the GPS radio of your iPhone will be disabled. Also, turn off Cellular Data and he will not be able to track you via Internet.

Yes. You can forward the calls to any phone that can recieve calls. But call forwarding will only work if your iPhone is either out of coverage area, not responding, busy or switched off. Yes, you can turn off call forwarding any time you want.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Ashik,

Can he tell from his phone whether the call is being forwarded to another phone?

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No Sally. He will not be able to check it unless he has physical access to your phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Many thanks Ashik.

Am complete novice with computers whereas he is very good with them.

Appreciate your help.

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome :)

If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.

Have a great day,
Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ashik,

Sorry to trouble you again. Have got a new separate iPhone but can't send mail from iras I am 'not subscribed to a mobile data service'. Does this mean it is because it is not linked to the internet? If I join the internet service at home then can my husband see what I do on this device? Do I need something else? The phone says 'imap.gmail.com' is not responding. verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail settings. when I go to mail settings the gmail goes through to my new email but says outgoing server smtp.gmail.com as my primary server. What is SMTP server? How do I add another?

I have managed to send 1 email from the persons house who is lending me the iPhone .

Can you help?

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sally, You need to connect the iPhone to your or any WiFi network or to a cellular network (internet service). Connecting your iPhone to the internet will fix your Gmail issue. Let me know if it not.

If you use the same Apple ID on your iPhone that you used with your old iPhone, then he still will be able to track you. But if you use a new Apple ID on it, then he will not be able to track it. I'd recommend to create a new Apple ID and use it with your new iPhone instead of old one. You can create a new Apple ID from here : https://appleid.apple.com/

If possible, use a new email address. If your husband have access to your gmail account then he will have access to all other sites/services that you have registered with your gmail account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ashik,

I think i set up a new apple id this morning on the new phone. Will he be able to tell whether a new phone has been accepted onto our home network?

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
If you connect it to your home network (WiFi), then he probably will be able to get the information of the device from the router history (some router don't have this fetaure, but some have). He will not get any detailed information about the device connected to it, but he will know that a new device is connected to the router.

It would be much safer if you connect it to the cellular network instead of home WiFi. He will not be able to find about that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

By cellular network do you mean a big corporate wi-fi system?

sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Nope, II mean mobile network. That is the internet provided by your carrier network.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to be so bad at technology but what is my carrier network?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No need to say sorry.

Mobile internet. Internet provided by your SIM card provider like O2, Orange etc. If your SIM provider is O2 or Orange or any one, then you can call them and ask them to activate cellular/mobile internet. Then you will be able to access internet on your iPhone
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again Ashik,

will ask my friend to do this for me as it is her phone.

you are a star!

Sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're most welcome :)

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Ashik
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to trouble you again but I have just received an email from apple saying that my apple id was used to sign into a device 'sally's iPhone 4' at 8.23am this morning. I was in the shower then as my husband was taking the kids to school. I did use my apple id at the bank about 11am this morning and I have just switched off my iMessage on my proper phone to see what would happen. Are either of these a possible trigger for this response from apple? and would they take almost 8 hours to tell me or is the time wrong that they issued? sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sally, Apple usually send those messages at the very moment you sign in on the device. Not sure what happened. I believe the emails are delayed.

On the iPhone, goto Settings > iCloud and see if your new Apple ID is setup/signed in there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not quite sure if it has been changed. still seems to be set up only normal email address and password ***** the right number of dots to correlate with my password. Is it possible that he can delete things from my phone using the iCloud ?

Sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
He can delete your iCloud emails, contacts, calendars, emails and also documents. He can also access your backup of your iPhone (if backup is enabled). Basically he can access everything on your iPhone if he have access to your Apple ID.

I'd recommend to create a new email address, then a brand new Apple ID with that new address. Use another phone number with your new email address. He can reset your email password ***** then Apple ID if he has access to your phone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks. Did that this morning. think it must have sent that message when I signed off and then back on iMessage on my proper iPhone just now. As he has access to my text messages are you sure he can't delete them? sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
He can't delete your text message or phone logs. But he can delete iCloud emails, contacts, calendars, emails and also documents since they are linked to iCloud.

BTW He can even remotely wipe your iphone off if he have access to your iPhone. Turn off Find My iPhone to prevent that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Ashik,

Don't quite understand. He can wipe my iPhone remotely?

Sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
There is a option to remotely wipe, lock etc via iCloud. If he have access to your Apple ID that you setup on your iPhone, he can trigger remote wipe/lock from online iCloud control panel and everything from your iPhone will be erased when it goes online.

You can see that option by going to www.icloud.com and select Find My iPhone option. See here : https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2701
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh dear.....! Will have to write all the texts confirming his 'too close friendship' out. Thanks for that.

Sal

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can always backup your iPhone to your computer regularly. If he ever erase your iPhone, you can always restore the backup from your computer and you won't lose anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just a quick question. Is there any way for finding a history of how many times 'find my iPhone' app has been used. I think my husband was tracking me yesterday as well as last week.

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sally, I think No. I haven't seen that option in iCloud. Not sure how he would be able to track you since you are using a new different Apple ID. He will not be able to track you unless he has access to that Apple ID and password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately have not changed Apple id on my normal iPhone or iPad/mac etc but just have borrowed a friends old iPhone and created a fictitious email address with new apple id so that he can't trace anything. I haven't even allowed it to sync with our home WiFi in case he realises it is there. Hopefully will get cellular/mobile WiFi on it tomorrow. I want to be able to google search and email solicitor etc ( if needs be) without him knowing about it. When I turned my phone off last week he told me he had called and that he knew the phone was off, rather than engaged.I don't think there is a difference in the messaging. If he is tracking me then I want him to be able to think he knows where I am, even if I dump the phone and go elsewhere with call forwarding to a different number. Are you sure there is no way of knowing when the 'find my iPhone app' has been triggered? If I change my Apple ID then he will know I am onto his tracking. Sally.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No. But there is a way to know when he is tracking your iPhone. A icon will appear on the status bar of your iPhone if GPS (or Location Services) is accessed remotely. If you see that symbol, then you know someone or some application is using the GPS of your iPhone. See the picture below;
graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for that but I guess that means watching the phone every second which is , realistically, not practical. Appreciate the help though, thanks. Is there an alarm that could be set to tell me when the phone is being tracked? Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I know that isn't practical but just wanted to let you know that incase if you see that icon, that indicates that the GPS of your iPhone is in use.

Sorry, No. There is no alarm and you will not know when it is being tracked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks anyway. Appreciated.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If an iPhone is completely switched off then can I put it on to charge without it synchronising or backing up to anything on the iCloud? Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Or you can just turn on Airplane mode and charge it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I am sorry to be such a pest! Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No Problem Sally. I'm glad to help you :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry to pester you again. Have now found that 3 icons on my mac have been paused and require my husbands apple id to open them. One is pages and I can't get into any of my documents without his password, the other 2 symbols I don't know what they mean. One is a lectern and the other is a 3D representation of blocks which are of different heights. Can you tell me what they mean?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
They are just apps downloaded from AppStore. Not sure about their names.

You need his Apple ID and password ***** open Pages. If you don't have his ID, then you have to delete Pages application and redownload Pages with your own Apple ID. This may cause to lose your documents. Using his ID and password ***** ***** best option.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Ashik,

Thanks for that.

Sorry another quick question. I have just been accessing my emails remotely from my old work computer. I have come home ( about***** and none of the emails I received or replied to have yet to come through to the family Mac computer, and yet they are on my iPad which was sitting next to the Mac. Is this a sign of hacking? As I type this to you the emails have come through more than 1 hour after they were sent.

Sally

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It might be glitch in the Mail app of your mac. Since they came through, I believe they are not hacked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Ashik,

Thank you for you help over the past few days. A very quid question, mu husband has found a unknown server attached to his mac book air. He does not seem overly concerned about it though has said he will take the mac book air with him on a business trip to Chicago and see an apple store there. Could it mean someone has hacked into his computer or is it really safe to leave this 'unknown' server 'for 8 + days attached to his computer? Is it possible that he has bought a new iMac (his credit card bill this month was > £1500, as opposed to £5 last month) and it is registered to him. I think he believes I have hacked his computer and phone. I absolutely deny this. Tampering with anyone else's phone or computer is illegal ( that being said because my phone and iPad was set up on his account, he has complete access to mine!) I know he has bought a new iPhone (fingerprint access) but could he have done this and bought a new iMac for £1500?
Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sally, I'm not sure about that unknown server. How did you know that an unknown server attached to his Macbook Air ?

Also, I'm not sure about the credit card bill too. The only way to know about that is by calling the credit card company and ask them where the charge came from.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my husband allowed me onto his macbook air and as I was searching I pressed 'recent history' button. This came up with with a list of history stuff and at the end of the list showed 'servers'. Beneath this listed Nick's Mac, Nicks' phone (iI think) and at the bottom of this list showed 'Peter Redfords iMac'. I do not know a Peter Redford and my husband denied knowing him as well. I will ask my husband to show me the barclay card itemised billing. Initially my husband wanted to know who this person was and as I have nothing to do with hacking his computer or phone I denied all knowledge of this. Eventually he said he would contact apple store to find out who/what this server was. This occurred last Saturday and he is flying to Chicago on this Saturday and says he will takes the macbook air to US with him and talk to apple store in Chicago. Should he be more concerned than he is or is it possible he has bought another iMac and labelled it Peter Redford ?

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sally, I'm not so sure about that. It is possible that he signed on to someone else's Mac with his Apple ID. That is probably why it is showing that server. Again, I'm not sure. I guess that is just a server and nothing to worry about hacking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ashik,

Have become so paranoid. My husband is telling so many lies that I now can not see the woods from the trees. I am sorry to drag you into my world. I am normally completely straight forward and usually live such a dull life. I am not used to all this computer stuff. Thanks for your help.

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
It is Ok. Let m know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Ashik,

I have noticed over the past 2 days 3 times when a white location arrow has appeared for a few seconds medial to the battery symbol on top right hand side of iPhone screen. There has also been one occasion when the screen has lit up when no one was near it. Is either significant? Or does the location arrow appear regularly and I haven't noticed it before?

Sally

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi Sally, The location arrow will appear when the GPS of your iPhone being used. It could be Find my iPhone or Maps or other apps. You can goto Settings > Privacy > Location Services and see the list of applications that have your location.
The location arrow will appear everytime the GPS is being used and you probably have not noticed it.