Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I have bought a new iPad Air and was hoping to recover

Hi, I have bought a new iPad Air and was hoping to recover all my apps and data from the iCloud from my old iPad onto it. Unfortunately the set up stops because the new iPad has iOS 7.1.2 and my old iPad has iOS 8.1 and I just get a message saying the iCloud backups are not compatible. Help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
All you have to do is, backup old iPad to iTunes on your computer and restore that backup to new iPad Air. Everything on the old iPad will be transferred to your new iPad.
Download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
After installing iTunes, open it. Then connect your old iPad to your computer with the USB cable. iTunes will recognize it. Select your iPad in iTunes (top left, next to 3 dots). Click Summary tab. Under Summary, select "Backup Now" button. Make sure "To this computer" option is selected.
After backing up, connect your iPad Air and select it in iTunes. Under Summary, this time click Restore Backup button. iTunes will ask you to select the backup point. Select the backup of old iPad and hit Restore. That's it. The entire contents of the old iPad will be restored to your iPad Air.
Apps, purchases from iTunes store and also the contents synced from PC (like Photos, Movies etc) have to be resynced/redownloaded. But you will not lose any data of those applications.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Best Regards,
Ashik
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can also update your iPad air to latest iOS 8 from iTunes application before restoring the backup.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't find a version of iOS to download from iTunes, just music, podcasts and books. However, I have managed to get it via settings and software updates. I am up and running now, thank you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Did you select iPad in iTunes?
You have to select it first then only you will see the update option. In iTunes on your computer Click on the iPad icon in the top left next to the 3 dots or in right if using older version of iTunes and you will the restore or update option.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information please don't hesitate to ask.
If you're satisfied with my service please rate me positively as good or excellent service.
Have a great day,
Ashik