Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have tried downloading Yosemite software to upgrade from

I have tried downloading Yosemite software to upgrade from maverick 6 times without success. It pauses and displays the "Users and Groups" window. I click on my users icon and continue with the download and go through the automatic installation proceedures but always finish up with " An error occurred whilst preparing the installation, try again"
I have automatic back up on an external disc operated by time machine.
Prior to the download I have Used "clean my Mac' and cleared out some of the old software.
I notice from my downloads folder I have 4 incompatible updates.
Should these be uninstalled?
If so how?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Mike the Mac Medic :

If that is ok then Restart open the App Store and try installing Yosemite again

JACUSTOMER-gqh8kjk7- :

Yes installed again and Came back to computer to find Users and groups screen displayed and after installation finished up with 'try again'

JACUSTOMER-gqh8kjk7- :

What next?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Are you using FileVault?

JACUSTOMER-gqh8kjk7- :

I have checked fire vault is off

Mike the Mac Medic :

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so restart then go to Applications and drag
Install OS X Yosemite.app to the trash, then go to App Store and redownload

Mike the Mac Medic :

Empty the trash too

Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so restart then go to Applications and drag Install OS X Yosemite.app to the trash, empty the trash, then go to App Store and redownload

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have reloaded and ended with the same error message --- try again!

Maybe continue to morrow with some other process under your guidance

Ok come back when ready
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have sent an e mail to my server "postofficebroadband.co.uk" to ascertain how I can tell when my monthly ration of downloads ,which is 10 GB, has been reached. I will contact you again after I have received a reply from them.

regards

Anthony

PS I wonder if it would make any difference if I turned off my printer before attempting yet another 2 hour download

I don't see hown the printer can have anything to do with it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I hope to make contact again on next tuesday around 10.30

Anthony XXXXXX

OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still await a reply from my server to ascertain how and when they cut off my download ration. Meanwhile my 10 year old printer is out of commission and i am hoping to ,next week. to replace it with a "Brother" DCP J552DW A4 A-1-0 inkjet printer.

The urgency to upgrade to Yosemite has receded time being. Thanks help so far. I may need more help if setting up the new printer proves troublesome

Anthony XXXXXX

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have now received confirmation from my server that I have not exceeded my download ration, so that is not the reason .

My downloads folder shows I have 4 incompatible downloads.

Might these cause the pausing? They are Pages, iPhoto, Keynote & Numbers.

Should I delete them via Clean My Mac before I try once more to download Yosemite?

I now have a new Brother printer installed and have repaired permissions.

Any suggestions what to do next? There is no urgency!

Tony XXXXXX

No NEVER use any app that says it will clean your mac not that one nor MacKeeper they are junk. Just trash them from your downloads folder then go to App Store and look .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Before downloading I have

Disconnected my new Brother printer

Checked fire vault & fire wall is off

Checked energy saver is set at never

Verified & repaired permissions

Quit running apps

Still finish with "An error occurred while preparing the installation. Try running the installation again"

What next?

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. THEN QUIT Disk Utility and Reinstall MAC OS X
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I still finish up with"Failed to download use the purchases page & try again"

Consequently my patience is exhausted and so have decided to transport my iMac to Tec in Bradford who supplied it and who are Apple authorised solution experts. This will be deferred until the new year. Meanwhile thank you assistance and best wishes happy Christmas and New Year.

Anthony

Ok good luck