Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I successfully set up a home network between my iMac and my

Customer Question

I successfully set up a home network between my iMac and my Windows laptop a few months ago. I haven't used it for sometime and have today installed a new BT Hub. Both computers are successfully using the hub and the Windows laptop is all ready to go on the network. The iMac however is not as I am not sure what its username and password ***** the network are!! Is there anyway I can find out or alternatively get over the problem another way?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

I am a little confused if they are both using the hub do you mean they are connected directly to the hub or is it WiFi?

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

WiFi

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Both via WiFi

Mike the Mac Medic :

If they are both using the hub which is WiFi then they must be signed with in the password ***** you see what I mean?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Just need clarification you said the are both using it successfully.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Where exactly is the problem?

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

The Network password ***** on the Windows laptop is exactly what I had recorded in my paperwork. On the iMac it is showing as connected with Public. When I click on connect as the drop down window displays the username as Margaret, but if I key in the same password ***** the Laptop is using it is not correct

Mike the Mac Medic :

I see Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
Version (under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

version 10.9.5

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core 15 Memory 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Mike the Mac Medic :

ok go to System Preferences / Network at the top make new Location call it Home and Apply, then connect to your WiFi network again and put in the password

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Since I created the new location and clicked on Apply, I cannot see the WiFi network in Finder!

Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart and then look under the WiFi icon at the top right of your screen. Looks like a cone

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Before I restart the iMac, I am just looking at the WiFi icon and it shows that I am connected to the new hub via WiFi. Is that what you wanted me to check

Mike the Mac Medic :

YEs

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

I note now that the hub is shown in shared devices, but not the laptop

Mike the Mac Medic :

Is this hub your WiFi router or what? Can you surf the web on both machines?

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Yes it is my new BT WiFi router

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Yes I can surf the web on both machines, it is just I must be doing something wrong on the home network

Mike the Mac Medic :

So if they are both connected to the WiFi router and they can both surf the web then they are both on the same home network what exactly is it you can't do?

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

I can only connect from the iMac to the Windows laptop as a public user, which is no good at all. I click on "connect as" and in response the prompt comes up with my name of "Margaret" in the Username Box, leaving me to put in a password. All I get is the "iMac shake", which means one or the other (or both) has to be wrong!!

Mike the Mac Medic :

Are you just trying to share a folder on the Windows computer with the Mac? By user you just mean that, right it is not a Windows Server?

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Correct it is not a Windows Server.On my scrappy notes I made some months ago, I had recorded the reference for the laptop and the network password ***** separated from that with a line the following - Margarets-iMac.local So may be that is the username I created for the iMac

Mike the Mac Medic :

Go to System Preferences / Sharing turn on File Sharing and it tells you how how to connect to the Macs from a Windows computer. If you want to do it the other way I will get back to you shortly. I have to take a short break.

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

Can I return to this question another day. I can't get on the computer at all tomorrow, it would have to be Saturday or Sunday now

JACUSTOMER-olf16d0r- :

I will have to leave the chat now until Saturday or Sunday.

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK come back when ready.

Mike the Mac Medic :

I can remote connect if you want then