Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Help! I can view my files but cannot alter them. I recently

Help! I can view my files but cannot alter them. I recently installed OS X Yosemite which is probably the problem (did that a few days ago and have not had need of the files since then.
Thanks in anticipation,
John (Amor)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer:

Hi Mike,Thanks - your help was spot on and I am up and running again.Two quick questions - 1) Does this happen a lot when people install OS X? 2) I will shortly be installing same on my laptop - if the same thing happens do I follow your cure?Once again, thank you very muchRegards,John

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do that on your other computer before you upgrade.

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!