Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

The finder file will not open, it says that it is not

Customer Question

The finder file will not open, it says that it is not responding but it will not relaunch. I can open all other files except the finder file and the trash bin.

I cannot shut down the mac book or restart it, so cannot process updates.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Hold the power button fro 10 seconds then start it up again and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

Thanks, ***** ***** open the file now but it is very slow and I have to click it twice for the text box to open

Mike the Mac Medic :

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
Version (under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

mac book 2009

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

2.26 GHz intel core duo

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

2GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Mike the Mac Medic :

What system version?

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

OS X

JACUSTOMER-x9goa94u- :

10.10.1

Mike the Mac Medic :

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then: 1. Shut down the computer.
8. Release the keys.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Sorry then:

Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I switched to Q&A mode since that may take you some time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** but the same issue. The apple catherine wheel keeps popping up, even though I bought some software to clean the mac up

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did all that but no joy and the apple wheel appears all the time, the mac is so slow?

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so then if you can open Terminal in Applications / Utilities... when you get to the Command Prompt paste this line below then hit Return and then quit Terminal and Restart the computer:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I open the terminal in applications
In Applications there is another folder called Utilities, it is there just double click on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I back on the home screen, can you guide me back to this stage
If you purchsed MacKeeper that can cause problems it is junk. Macs do not need "cleaning up" . Select the first icon int he Dock the Finder then select Go at the top of the screen go to Utilities. Open Terminal at the Command Prompt paste this line below then hit Return and then quit Terminal and Restart the computer:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The screen has gone black now with just the arrow to move around
Did you manage to do that procedure? If so restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logoagain just to be sure. Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. Then quit Disk Utility and select Reinstall Mac OS X.
Let me know. I have to step away for a lunch break I will look for your reply when I return.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I had to go to work, I will email you again soon. For now thanks for your help.

issues still with;

Files at the bottom now all saying not responding but do open after a long wait.

Apple wheel constantly appearing and making the system slow

So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? If so we may need to reinstall the system but I have to point out that 2 GB of RAM is not really enough to run Yosemite, you should upgrade to the maximum and also see how much free space you have on the hard drive... when the computer runs out of RAM it will use the hard drive for RAM and besides slowing it down... if there is not enough free space what you describe can happen.You may also consider getting an SSD hard drive which would speed it up a lot. Let me know.