Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

No wifi hardware recognized. MacBook air

Customer Question

Hi. I am going thru your steps how to get my wireless working again...from one day to next it is not recognizing wifi hardware... None of first 3 steps worked so am on the start up with command r step..I restartedStarted with command option PRNothing changedDid that again nothing changedWent into network to remove/add wifi...removed and when tried to add wifi back, no wifi option so restarted again...no changeNow have osx utilities up with options ..restore, reinstall, get help online or disk ultility and would like help what to do next
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
Version (under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Hello.
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : 10.9.5
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : processor 1.8 ghz intel core 15
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : memory 4 gb 1600 MHz DDR3
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : r u there?
Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok .... Will do that in just a moment...thank you!
Mike the Mac Medic :

If that is ok go to System Preferences / Network create a new location at the top and name it then reconnect to your WiFi and let me know

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok it's verifying...
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok. It's ok so now doing repair disc permissions
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Says complete...no ok or not ok
Mike the Mac Medic :

Yes just complete is good now quit Disk Utility restart and go to System Preferences / Network create a new location at the top and name it then reconnect to your WiFi and let me know

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : So just click out top left
Mike the Mac Medic :

Yes quit Disk Utility then Apple logo to restart

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : ok
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Can't create a wifi
Mike the Mac Medic :

What do you mean?

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Wifi not listed in interface
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : only thunderbolt and bluetooth
Mike the Mac Medic :

Was it listed before? Did you make a new location?

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : It's listed as off on the chart with others...when click plus sign to add, it's not an optin
Mike the Mac Medic :

What is listed?

Mike the Mac Medic :

So it is in the list but it's off?

Mike the Mac Medic :

With thunderbolt and bluetooth?

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Yes wifi on list but off. Location tab in center set to automatic.
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : And same message top right wifi no hardware installed
Mike the Mac Medic :

Ok make a new location and name it Home or something like that

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : ok
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : so kocation, edit locations, add button...
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : added as home. No wifi on left...shall I try adding?
Mike the Mac Medic :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : wifi not listed as an interface
Mike the Mac Medic :

What model Mac is it?

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : air
Mike the Mac Medic :

Go to Macintosh HD / Library / Preferences drag SystemConfiguration folder to the trash then restart and check again

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : how do I get to Mac hd please :)
Mike the Mac Medic :

Select the first icon in the Dock, the face (Finder), then go to the top left of your screen to Finder / Preferences / General and check all boxes under Show these items on the Desktop.

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : under start up disc?
Mike the Mac Medic :

The you should see Macintosh HD on the Desktop

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok
Mike the Mac Medic :

Then

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Open in and find library?
Mike the Mac Medic :

Open Macintosh HD which is your hard drive then open Library then open Preferences drag SystemConfiguration folder to the trash then restart and check again

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok going to drag system pref to trash?
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok
Mike the Mac Medic :

SystemConfiguration

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Yes
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok restarting
Mike the Mac Medic :

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Do that before you check

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : ok restarted.
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : no wifi hardware naturally detected top right
Mike the Mac Medic :

Try to add it

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Ok
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : no wifi comes up on interface
Mike the Mac Medic :

You did that procedure right? press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.?

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : I created new location as home had disappeared. No wifi available
Mike the Mac Medic :

You did this right?

Mike the Mac Medic :

1. Shut down the computer.

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : yes. That procedure turned off the computer. It was not off already
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : shall I do again
Mike the Mac Medic :

You have to shut it down first in fact do it this way:

Mike the Mac Medic :

1. Shut down the computer.
6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
8. Release the keys.

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : ok
Mike the Mac Medic :

Make sure you hear the computer restart again when holding Command-Option-P-R keys

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : ok. Started as normal after double restart sound
Mike the Mac Medic :

OK now check WiFi

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : no wifi listed under network...adding new location and checking
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : no wifi option in interface
Mike the Mac Medic :

OK I'm afraid it needs to be looked at it may only be a cable that is known to get loose, in the meantime you can use a USB WiFI dongle pretty cheap:

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Bummer. Was working last night and not this morning...ok, thanks a lot for trying.
Mike the Mac Medic :

As a last resort you can try reinstalling the system. Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select Reinstall Mac OS X

Mike the Mac Medic :

If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Mike the Mac Medic :

Or upgrade to Yosemite.

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Can't upgrade without internet
JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Thank u
Mike the Mac Medic :

You can plug it in directly with Thundersbolt to Ethernet adapter: thunderbolt to ethernet I think it is a hardware problem but that would tell you for sure.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Or create a USB install drive if you have another Mac

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Do I lose this chat once I rate and submit?
Mike the Mac Medic :

No you can come back

Mike the Mac Medic :

http://diskmakerx.com

JACUSTOMER-16ejqg94- : Check this out...same thing is 90 pounds in uk...http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edimax-EW-7811Un-Adapter-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B00ODQXZ72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416663998&sr=8-1&keywords=Edimax+EW-7811Un+150Mbps+11n+Wi-Fi+USB+Adapter%2C+Nano+Size+Lets+You+Plug+it+and+Forget+it%2C+Ideal+for+Raspberry+Pi%2C+Supports+Windows%2C+Mac+OS%2C+Linux
Mike the Mac Medic :

Wow here is a cheaper one:

Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Thanks I switched to Q&A mode let me know how it goes.