Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have just got an iPhone 6 and can not get it to sync with

Customer Question

I have just got an iPhone 6 and can not get it to sync with Calendar on my Mac and my iPad. Email is syncing, notability is syncing but calendar events are not ? Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 3 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Make sure you chose the right calendar to sync. On which device are the calendars correct?

Customer: Hi Mike
Mike the Mac Medic :

Ni

Mike the Mac Medic :

Hi..oops

Customer:

I am now on line as well have been out since sending the original question. What do you mean on which devise are the calendars correct? I have gone into settings/mail contacts calendars and each devise has the accounts as follows

Mike the Mac Medic :

Open Calendars on the phone and then choose Calendars at the bottom which Calendars have a checkmark next to them?

Customer:

iphone 6 iCloud, exchange, AOL ipad iCloud, exchange gmail and AOL

Customer:

OK trying that now

Customer:

Exchange calsnder is checked. iCloud is checked and has home, calendar, personal, travel, work, etc (all of which are sub clanders set up when i had an iPhone 5 and iPad syncing together. Un

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK make sure that is the Calendars that are set to sync everywhere else

Customer:

fortunately I traded the iPhone 5 in so can not check the settings.

Customer:

Ipad has a gmail account in Calendars that is not on the other two devices. How do I add this to the iPhone?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Mail, Contacts & Calendars

Mike the Mac Medic :

Settings / Mail, Contacts & Calendars

Customer:

ok

Customer:

done

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK see if it is syncing now

Mike the Mac Medic :

Make sure you check Calendars to sync on all accounts

Customer:

got to the point of adding new account - put in details and am now being asked under page heading New Account - heavy bold Blue box called map for incoming mail server host name, user name (password ***** default filled). I have tried to the required boxes but it is not giving me the "next' option?

Mike the Mac Medic :

You should have seen a list of providers first..

Mike the Mac Medic :

iCloud, Exchange, Google, etc...

Customer:

went in through 'others' as their was not a gmail. options were iCloud, exchange, google, yahoo,aol outlook.com and others

Mike the Mac Medic :

Google is gmail

Customer:

ah ha

Customer:

trying now

Customer:

Mac - I have now got the exact same showing on my iPad and iPhone but they are still not syncing?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Mike the Mac Medic :

Which are not syncing how many do you have?

Customer:

where?

Customer:

example - I put in gmail calendar for 0800 tomorrow morning a 'test event'. I did this yesterday - on my iPad and it is on my iPad but not on my iPhone.at the same time i put an meeting at 1000 tomorrow on my iPhone and it is still there but not on my iPad. both are on the gmail calendar

Customer:

found sync in mail contact calendars - it was set on the phone to sync events one month ago. I have changed this to all events and done the same on the iPad. it has now put in a load of historic events on the iPhone but not the examples above?

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK in Calendars app on both when you select Calendars at the bottom do you see the gmail account with a checkmark on both devices?

Mike the Mac Medic :

What about the computer?

Customer:

yes all three devices are showing a gmail calendar, an exchange calendar and iCloud calendar and all are checked.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Ok shut off both devices and the computer and start up again

Customer:

OK closing all three down now - assume you will know how to get me back on chat when i reboot.

Customer:

cheers ***** *****

Mike the Mac Medic :

JUST GO TO YOUR EMAIL OR BOOKMARK THIS PAGE.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then go to the computer and create a test event in the gmail Calendar you have to make sure you are creating them in the right Calendar

Customer:

i have created a test event in each device called test 101 test 102 and test 103 for 12,00 1230 and 1300 tomorrow.all loaded under the gmail calendar none have synced yet

Mike the Mac Medic :

Are you sure it is the gmail calendar, when you make a new event you choose which calendar it is saved in at the bottom of that window?

Mike the Mac Medic :

I just tried it twice and it syncs immediately. Try making it on the Computer it is easier to see which calendar it is saved to

Customer:

sync has happened between iPad and mac. iPhone has not synced. All using the same calender

Mike the Mac Medic :

Full Size Image

Mike the Mac Medic :

Is the iPhone on WiFi?

Mike the Mac Medic :

If not make sure you have Cellular data on for Calendars

Mike the Mac Medic :

Settings / Cellular / Calendars

Customer:

they are all on the same wifi. I have 4g EE account as well on the phone

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then something is wrong ln the iPhone, If you create a gmail event on the phone does it sync to the other devices try an iCloud event

Mike the Mac Medic :

Can you surf the web on the iPhone?

Customer:

this is getting strange as the iPhone set event on iCloud calendar synced immediately with the iPad but not with the mac

Customer:

yes web surfing is fine on all machines

Customer:

also strange is that the iCloud event has gone onto the iPad but the events on the iPad have not come across to the iphone

Mike the Mac Medic :

In Calendar on the Mac when you click on Calendars in the upper left to show the list you see the iCloud listed and checked? If you have more than on iCloud and gmail account make sure they are the right accounts

Customer:

I am also getting an additional icon at the bottom of the mac which is calling itself Calender from the iPhone? when I click on it it disappears but Calendar opens - but it is the usual caender and reflects what is on the mac not the iphone

Mike the Mac Medic :

Please take a screen shot of your Calendar app on the Mac with the Calendars listed on the left

Customer:

all the accounts are checked on the mac

Mike the Mac Medic :

Do you have more than one iCloud or gmail account?

Customer:

Mike I have just declined the extra as when looking to try and find screen shot (I am not sure how to take one) I saw refresh calendars on the Mac and the Mac is now updated and has the synced version. So I now have iPad and mac synced but not iPhone. Yes I do have more than one gmail account - one on exchange and one on google.

Customer:

if you think that it is still going to be quicker for you to get remote access to the mac then resend your request and I will agree.

Customer:

how do I do screen shot and attach it on the mac. I know how to do it and email on my iPad and on my phone but not how to do it on the mac and on chat?

Mike the Mac Medic :

No if the computer is syncing now that won't help.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Make sure you have the right accounts in Calendars on the phone

Mike the Mac Medic :

go to phone's settings, go into the Gmail account, turn calender toggle off then back on. That should reset it.

Customer:

I have toggled off and it is giving me the option of deleting from my iPhone or cancelling. it is saying 'are you sure you want to continue all Gmail calendars will be removed for your iphone

Mike the Mac Medic :

Just remove you can turn it back on

Customer:

tried that - no change.

Customer:

As this is a new iPhone I am going to go back to the apple shop with it and my iPad and show them. I appreciate all your help this evening and will respond as good service - but i have other things I need to do this evening so am signing off now.Thanks very much for your efforts

Mike the Mac Medic :

Ok please let me know thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Solved problem - moved out of the Exchange email completely - now have all the addresses and calendars in either iCloud gmail or aol in settings -mail,contact calendars etc and this seems to have corrected the issue - all devices are now syncing so I am sorted. Thanks