John T. F.
John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

i have just purchased a apple I pod second hand and cannot

i have just purchased a apple I pod second hand and cannot activate it because the original owner had put find my I phone to link it to their apple id and I cant find out who the original owner was can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 3 years ago.
Hello! My name is***** will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

I'm afraid the answer is a simple one but not a pleasant one so please don't shoot the messenger.

You are dealing with a new feature called "Activation Lock". This is a high security feature and there is no way as an end user to bypass it.

When selling the device, the original owner should have disabled this before surrendering it. You MUST have that password ***** order to proceed OR the original owner must remove it from their iCloud account in order for this device to be functional once more.

If at all possible you should obtain a refund if the source of purchase can not help you contact the original owner.

Apple has been known to take a tough stance on this issue due to theft concerns. If you can get no where with the above, you may try calling them at 1-800-676-2775 in the US or 0844(###) ###-####in the UK.

John
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks for your help

You are quite welcome, Trevor. I'm sorry it wasn't a more positive one.

John