Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have an Apple computer and I am unable to get it started.

Customer Question

I have an Apple computer and I am unable to get it started. Ibought it from Selfridges about 1 year ago. Can you help me? Where can I start. Address X XXXXXX XXXXX XXX XXX X XXX XXXX XXXX XXXXXX XXX XXXXXXX

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Restart the computer then immediately hold the Command key and the letter R key together until you see the Apple Logo. This will boot to the Recovery HD partition. When it boots you will see a window called Utilities, select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

The computer has no keyboard. There is a bluetooth keyboard. .

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I have a serial No. Is that a help

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

CO7M108NDWYL Model No.A1347

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

Mail can't connect to the Google account *****@******.***

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

Enter the correct password.

Mike the Mac Medic :

I thought you couldn't get it started? How are you in Google accounts?

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I have recently altered my google password ***** the new one is not recognised. Originally I had a special Apple password ***** google on the apple.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I didn't know what the failure to start meant. Sorry.The computer is started. Thanks.

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK

Mike the Mac Medic :

I think you are confusing your Apple ID which you may have used your gmail account for and your gmail password ***** gmail which is different.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I am using my laptop here which is a windows machine. I can log onto my gmail account There is a wiffi network in the house.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Go here to manage your Apple ID and put in your gmail account as the username then if you don't rememeber your password ***** on Forgot Your Password ***** answer the security questions

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK can you clarify is the Mac started or not?

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

This email exchange is on my Google account. The problem seems to narrow down to geting the Mac connected to a TV to recognise the google account on the wifi.

Mike the Mac Medic :

What does connecting to a TV have to do with a google account? That makes no sense to me at all . Can you clarify?

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

The TV isthe screen for the computer. it is responding to my attempt to log on to Gmail.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I have been asked to enter the password ***** my Google account that is correctly given as <*****@******.***>

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I enter my password ***** the screen offers "cancel" or OK

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

If I enter OK the screen reappears.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

If I answer Cancel the screen goes clear. I can call up the inbox which shows emails up to 11 October 2014.

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK that is normally called a monitor not a TV that is what confused me.. Go to gmail.com and sign in there

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I seem to remember when I started I had to enter a password ***** invented for the Apple connection and I cannot remember that or find a connection

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

I am trying Gmail.com to sign in.

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

There is a line of IKONS accross the botttom of the monitor. One is mail

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

Safarri etc

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

Which should I choose?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Safari is your web browser

Mike the Mac Medic :

Are you saying you are not even connected top your WiFi network?

JACUSTOMER-w67fwwy7- :

How would I know?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Open Safari and try to browse the web.

Mike the Mac Medic :

type in google.com does it come up?

Mike the Mac Medic :

If that works type in gmail.com and sign in to your email

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Mike. I am sorry I couldn't find out how to say Good Bye. Now I am delighted to find that you are still available. Can I sumarise. I think I know how to get started and log in to safari, my web browser, I will try gmail.com and see if I can recover my password ***** find a solution, reset ?

In the mean time I do think you have been a great help and unlocked me to get on when I find the time and inclination. My son offered the Apple way out of my dissatisfaction with windows. I am not yet sure how to cope. Thanks

Sorry you can rate me now and say goodbye, if you need more help let me know.