Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I tried to update the software on my ipad through Itunes on

I tried to update the software on my ipad through Itunes on my Dell laptop. It has not been successful and now my IPAD screen will not open. The screen is showing a white lead with the Itunes logo and is frozen. Please help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am excited to get started with you.

From what are you describing, an error has occurred with the update and now your iPad is in recovery mode and will need to be restored. Have you clicked on the restore button within iTunes?

Customer:

Yes and it said it couldn't restore but that was on my laptop - I can't get into my IPAD at all

Michelle :

Normally it will give you an error code after a failed attempt to restore. Do you have another computer that you can restore from?

Customer:

no - only my laptop and ipad

Michelle :

Do you have the latest version of iTunes? iTunes 12 is the latest. If not, you can download it here http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer:

I updated my Itunes before i tried to download the new IOS software

Michelle :

So I can know exactly why i failed, I will need the error code. Can you press restore in iTunes again and note the error code when it fails

Customer:

ok hang on a minute

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

It says the software needs to be restored to factory settings but htis will erase all content on my ipad

Customer:

is that what I should do

Customer:

what about all my photos etc?

Michelle :

Yes that is the only way to get your iPad up and running again. Are you backed up to iCloud? Have you backed up to itunes?

Customer:

how do I check that?

Michelle :

You can check for an iTunes backup. Click on Edit at the top menu bar and select Preferences. Click on the Devices tab. If a backup was completed, it will be listed

Customer:

Yes updated today

Customer:

should I click restore IPAD

Michelle :

Okay so you do have a backup. When the restore is complete, it will ask if you would like to restore from a backup. You can choose the backup that was done today

Michelle :

Yes click Restore

Customer:

I am doing this now- I tried this earlier and it said it was not successful and that is when my Ipad froze but lets wait and see what happens this time

Michelle :

If it fails, note the error code

Customer:

it now says Ipad recovery mode - preparing to restore settings on Ipad

Michelle :

An Apple logo with a progress bar will then appear on your iPad

Customer:

ok just taking a few minutes

Customer:

ipad has changed to apple logo with a line underneath

Michelle :

Okay making progress

Customer:

it says on Itunes restoring Ipad software

Customer:

line is moving under the apple

Customer:

now say verifying ipad software

Customer:

message has gone from itunes and new line under apple

Customer:

now asked tosign intoio apple

Customer:

now asked to restore from back up

Michelle :

Sign in with your Apple ID and password

Michelle :

Choose the backup from today

Customer:

ok

Customer:

now restoring from back up

Michelle :

It will take another 10-15 to finish restoring from backup

Customer:

what do you want to do?

Michelle :

I am going to stand by until it is done. (Just to make sure) Let me know as soon as the restore is complete

Customer:

thank you I will keep this open and let you know

Michelle :

Okay

Customer:

Customer:

It says it has been completed - there is a moving line under the apple logo on my ipad

Michelle :

It should re-boot

Michelle :

Your iPad should appear how it did before the update

Customer:

updating icloud settings

Customer:

hurrah - its all there! Thank you

Michelle :

You are so very welcome! Have a fantastic Holiday

Customer:

just waiting for my mail to load - it says no mail at the moment

Michelle :

You may need to re-enter your password. If it does not load, go to settings>mail contacts>calendar and select your account. Re-enter your password

Customer:

ok - thank you

Customer:

is there anything more I need to do?

Michelle :

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any additional questions. You can submit your rating to end the chat id you do not have any further questions

Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience: Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.