Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Hi, I have a three year old iMac. I recently uploaded Yosemite

Customer Question

Hi, I have a three year old iMac. I recently uploaded Yosemite to update my software and since then I spend a lot of time watching the coloured beachball revolve while emails, internet and websites load up. Even normal apps like Pages take ages to open. Is there a fix please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

First reset the PRAM and NVRAM. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
  6. Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.

Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Which is the option key?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Option key is the alt key.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks I will try what you suggested shortly. I am concerned that it's a software issue and that it shouldn't be chargeable as it's not something I've done. What is the view on this?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Roz, this is JustAnswer, a paid support site. We're not affilated to Apple. You only have to pay If I solved your problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Oh I thought it was apple - that's what I put into the search engine. It looks like it's part of Apple. Maybe you need to make that clear at the outset as I believe apple would have helped me with no charge otherwise. I will try your fix - I assume it won't put my data at risk?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I'm just a tech here. I don't have any control over the site here. Apple doesn't provide this kind of online service for free. You will have to pay for the fixes if you take it to Apple, I believe.

You can safely try my fix and these are the steps recommended by Apple for Macs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok. here goes

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
If the above fix didn't work, then we will have to reinstall the OS X. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have rebooted . Went to apps and can't find a utilities folder - where is it please?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Click on the Spotlight (the magnifying glass) on the top right and search Disk Utility. You can open Disk Utility from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Ashik - am I meant to find this in Applications? can't see it - expect it's staring me in the face but I can't find it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I typed applications folder into the spotlight box in apps but it doesn't come up with anything by that name and they are in alphabetical order

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Roz, there are two ways to open Disk Utility application. You can find it in the Utilities folder which is in the Applications folder.

Click on the Finder icon in dock (the first icon). Select Applications in the left column. Select Utilities folder. You can find Disk Utility there.

Or search Disk Utility in Spotlight search and that will bring Disk Utility. Click Disk Utility and that will bring Disk Utility application
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ashik, thank you for your patience. I have done what you said and followed your advice but I am still faced with the slow multi coloured beach ball for too long when I try to open applications. When I try and type emails there is a few seconds delay before the text appears. Any other suggestions?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Roz, the best option is, reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling the OS X won't delete any of your files but it will replace the old system files with new one. But I'd recommend to backup your important files before reinstalling the OS X.

Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to Mac OS X Utilities screen. Select Reinstall Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall it.

Please let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ashik, that worries me as I can't risk losing any data. The reason I updated to Yosemite was because my iPhone wouldn't connect with the old software and that's where the problems started. I appreciate your help but it hasn't solved the issue in a safe way for me. I will have to take my computer into Apple after all. Cry

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Roz, reinstalling the OS X is completely safe. I asked you to backup because if anything goes wrong while installing the OS X like unexpected power failure, you can still recover the files from backup.
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I leave you a tip without it being added to the £29 or is it instead of the charge? It's not clear

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The tip will be added to the original charge. I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem, but you should try reinstalling the OS X. Reinstalling the OS X will keep your files and settings intact. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/PH18872

You can also try the Disk Utility from Mac OS X Utilities screen before installing the OS X. Let me know..