Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro. I recently upgraded to Yosemeti.

I have a 2008 Macbook Pro. I recently upgraded to Yosemeti. All was well! I (foolishly?) downloaded Winzip software to clean up my apple today. I ran it and various "superfluous files' were deleted. I now cannot start Mail or Safari. iPhoto & Word are fine. What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Winzip is a windows program are you sure about that?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Do you mean the Winzip Mac Optimizer?

Customer:

Yes, Winzip Mac Optimiser

Mike the Mac Medic :

For future reference you don't need any of those Mac Utilities I am not familiar with that one but have had many problems with customers using MacKeeper and other so called "cleaner" apps. Go here and select

Mike the Mac Medic :

How to uninstall WinZip Mac Optimizer?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that is OK in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.

Customer:

Sorry, no hot link on 'here'

Customer:

How do I get back to you? I am on the sick computer. Curiously Firefox browser works fine but not Safari

Mike the Mac Medic :

Bookmark this page

Customer:

Thanks very much. May speak later.

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK

Customer:

Hello again. I ran the disk repair programme and was hopeful as faults were found. But Safari and Mail will not start. Do you please have any more ideas. All was well until I loaded the disk 'optimiser'

Mike the Mac Medic :

So Verify Disk was not OK but was successfully repaired in green type and then you Repaired Permissions?

Mike the Mac Medic :

Also Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
Version (under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

Mike the Mac Medic :

Did you remove the faulty software?

Customer:

About this Mac doesn't respond.

Customer:

I deleted the programme form the applications folder

Customer:

I didn't do Repaired permissions - should I have?

Mike the Mac Medic :

No you have to follow the directions in the link I gave you:

Mike the Mac Medic :

Full Size Image

Mike the Mac Medic :

Full Size Image

Mike the Mac Medic :

Full Size Image

Mike the Mac Medic :

If you have already emptied the trash you have to reinstall so you can do that procedure

Mike the Mac Medic :

It installs other things that have to be removed

Customer:

OK I have done that. I found the programme in trash, reinstalled it and then uninstalled it as you instructed.

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK restart

Customer:

OK I've restarted - Mail still not working

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK in that case restart to Recovery HD again but this time Reinstall Mac OS X that should put back whatever that program removed.

Customer:

OK thanks I'll do that

Mike the Mac Medic :

Let me know

Customer:

Will do thanks

Customer: It will take about 9 hours - I have a very sluggish Internet connection.
Customer: i shall report back tomorrow ( now midnight in UK.)
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I switched to Q&A mode while you are doing that.
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Let me know