Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

My Mac is suddenly 'not finding' my printer via WIFI although

My Mac is suddenly 'not finding' my printer via WIFI although WIFI is working for all other devices.
Context is : we had a problem with the BT line last week (it was down for a day). The message from my PC says : 'the printer is not connected'. I've tried the cables (unplugged, replugged, re-started my mac) but the same message.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your printer?

Is Wi-Fi / wireless still showing connected on the printer device?

Is any other device able to print to the printer?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand your questions other than the model of the printer which is HP Colour printer 2600n.

Where would I look to see if WIFI/ wireless is still showing connected on the printer device?

I don't know if any other device is able to print to the printer and have no means of testing this at the moment as the other mac is at work with my husband.

Is this printer connected to the computer with a cable? Or is this printer connected to the modem/router with a cable?

Is the cable connected to the printer a USB cable or an Ethernet cable?

What's the model of your internet / wireless modem/router device?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi. the printer is connected to the modem/router with a cable. I think it is a USB cable (i.e. it is not a 'flat, metal' end, but one that looks like a phone cable.

The model of my router is apple (booster) and BT.

Thank you. The cable that looks like like a phone cable (bigger than a phone cable) is called Ethernet cable or network cable.

Please do the following on the printer, then let me know the IP address it shows, if any:

1. Press the < (LEFT arrow) button or > (RIGHT arrow) button until Reports appears in the control panel display and then press Select.

2. Press the < (LEFT arrow) button or > (RIGHT arrow) button until Config Report appears in the control panel display and then press Select. The configuration Report will print out.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

IP address shown on config report is

192.168.1.195

Thank you. That looks good with the IP address. Please try the following fix:

1. Make sure printer is powered on.
  2. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top left, then select System Preferences..., then open Print & Fax.
  3. Select the HP... printer
  4. Click on the - (minus) icon at the bottom left, and remove/delete the printer.
  5. Click on the + (plus) icon at the bottom left, and it should detect your network printer, then add it.
  6. Then check printing.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** (I had tried all this already, and have just done it again as per your instruction) but the HP printer does not home up as an option to add. Instead, I get "Photosmart B110Senses (FDECAD). I think this is my husbands scanner (?) but oddly, there is no option to 'add' this as the + is not sensitive / active. No printers appear.

So it seems that the printer is still not detected.

Sorry, can you add again, then select the IP option, then enter the ip address:

192.168.1.195

(as from the printout)

, then add and check. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What do you mean 'add again then select the IP option and enter the IP address - where do I go to select the IP option - there isn't this option on the printer-detection screen? Do I fill it in one of the boxes? In which case, which one?

Sorry, when you click on the + (plus) button, (then click on Add.. if needed), then do you see the Add printer window with the IP tab at the top, something like:

, then you can enter the printer's IP address and add.

- If needed, disconnect the power cord from the modem/router device for about 5 minutes, then reconnect

, then turn off printer, then disconnect power cord from printer for a couple of minutes, then reconnect, then wait a few minutes, then print the reports page again on the printer to check the IP address

, then add again on the computer with IP option and enter the IP address and add, then check.

When you are available, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so we can continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hmm. Well, I did all that, and this time it 'found' the HP printer 1600, but IP address still blank, and 'unable to verity on your network'.

So I filled in the IP 192.168.1.195….but still no joy. Still says 'unable to verify on your network' and does not print.

Sorry, please try:

1. ChooseSystem Preferencesfrom theApplemenu.
  2. ChoosePrint & Faxfrom theViewmenu.
  3. Hold down the Option key while clicking the "-" (Remove printer) button. If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (Add printer) button, then chooseReset printing system…from the contextual menu.
  4. Then try to add again.
  5. If needed, restart the computer and add again.
  6. Try connecting the printer to the modem/router with another Ethernet/network cable if you have.

If needed, try connecting the printer to the computer with a USB printer cable, if you have, then add and test printing.

Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

What are:

the option key

the "-" and the (remove printer) button - are two one and the same button?

Where does it say 'Reset Printing system - I don't seem to have a contextual menu?

I'm sorry, the option and control keys are located near the bottom left (and/or right) on the keyboard; please click on the image below for an example of a keyboard:
graphic

Yes, the - (minus) button means Remove. (And the + (plus) button means Add.)

2. ChoosePrint & Faxfrom theViewmenu.
  4. Then try to add again.
If there is still no reset printing system , then right-click in the printer list box (or empty printer list box), then a menu should popup, then select option Reset printing system...

Please let me know. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello. Sorry for long silence. I have now resolved the issue - it was a WIFI amplifier issue (that had become unplugged). However, I've paid your bill as you gave me lots of options and were very prompt with your replies. Many thanks.

You're welcome. Great. If you have any other computer question/issue, please let me know any time. Thank you very much.