Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

My Apple Air laptop has become disorganised since installing

Customer Question

My Apple Air laptop has become disorganised since installing OS X Yosemite

How long should I wait for an answer, please?

Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Johnny Mack :

Hello there! My name is ***** ***** and i will be assisting you today.

Johnny Mack :

please go to your apps folder

Johnny Mack :

then open the folder called uiilties once in the utilities folder open disk utility and select repair disk permissions

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Johnny

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Thanks for this reply

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

When I go into Apps (Apps Store) I can find utilities, but cannot find disk utility in there!

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Help, please

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Ginny Wrihjy

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Ginny Wright

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Do you mean Disc Doctor - a paid app?

Johnny Mack :

thats a core program so it will be in there and its an app that comes with your mac

Johnny Mack :

if you cant find it then use the magnifying
glass to do a search

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Johnny

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

The magnifying search shows Disk space, disk diag, disk diet, disc cleaner pro, disk expert, disk inspector, system doctor or super utilities but not disk utility

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Ginny

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

We are in the UK

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

What time are you on line?

Johnny Mack :

I am in texas in the colonies :)

Johnny Mack :

224 pm my time

Johnny Mack :

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported then click on the Repair Permissions button. When the process is completed, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Johnny Mack :

follow those steps

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Johnny

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Thanks for your comments, but my Apple is still totally disorganised

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

I think the time zones are the real issue, as previously the Help Expert took over the computer and sorted the problem

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

So I think the best conclusion is for JA to refund my fee and I will take my computer to the local Apple shop

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Thanks for trying

JACUSTOMER-7efabo3q- :

Ginny Wright

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Willingness was fine but it did not work