ptorres007
ptorres007, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  10 years in the IT industry with certifications.
34552149

scratch disc -36 error occurs when using photoshop, also when

Customer Question

scratch disc -36 error occurs when using photoshop, also when rying to open a file on photoshop it says a disc error has ocured, all of the folder icons on the desktop are missing and the computer is very slow
Category: Mac
Expert:  ptorres007 replied 1 year ago.
Customer:

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you with your question today.

Customer:

This error indicates that your computer does not have enough space to run photoshop. Can you check how much hard disk space your computer has left? This same issue with the hard disk being full would also be why your computer is going very slow. I would suggest cleaning out files and application you no longer use.

Customer:

When you get a minute to chat, please let me know and we can go over your question in more detail. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

How do I find out how much hard disk space I have?

Customer:

Can I have you follow these instructions here: http://www.macinstruct.com/node/414

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have bought an external hard drive but this doesn't seem to be able to work with the mac I think it may be to old. it is mac osx 10.4.11 it says memory is 1gb 667 MHz but I don't know if this is what is left?

Customer:

No, thats not the harddisk space info. That is the memory and cpu. Memory is different from harddisk space.

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I think I have found it it says capacity 232.57gb, available 137.61 used 94.96gb on disc

Customer:

Yes, I believe that would be it. Sounds like you have plenty. Can I have you try your photoshop again?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have opened photoshop up, it takes a long time compared to normal, some files open, I have one file that crashes it and says disc error occurred.

Customer:

When did you install photoshop? Have you been using it problem from for some time now?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

When asking to save the file the small window with type in is bipmapped?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I had a friend install it about 5 years ago and it has been working perfectly

Customer:

bitmap is the small file format, yes.

Customer:

Have you installed any new applications recently?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

No I haven't installed anything on it, the machine isn't even online I use it just for visuals.

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

By bitmap I mean it looks pixelated

Customer:

Oh, I see. You said you installed an external drive recently? is it currently connected?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have only just got it it is connected but not doing anything

Customer:

Can you disconnect it for me then check your harddisk space again?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have done that, it has the same data as previous.

Customer:

Ok, when did you start getting this error?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

yesterday, the only thing I have done was transfer a picture from the pc on a memory stick, and have started editing it. I have removed the image from the mac now. I had dragged the image from google.

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have just restarted the machine to see if removing the image has helped?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

I have restarted the machine, all of the folder icons are missing on the desktop?

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

when I try and open photoshop now it says, could not used saved application colour settings because of a disc error, the default colour settings are being used

Customer:

It sounds like your harddisk is failing, all the symptoms you described would be of a failing disk

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

If that is the case what does that mean is it repairable?

Customer:

Usually after a while the harddisk does fail because it has a lot of moving parts, when you start seeing symptoms like you've described you need to start saving all important documents to another location and replacing the drive entirely, the drive itself is not repairable.

JACUSTOMER-s2jl6fqd- :

Is it cheaper to buy a new machine normally?

Customer:

Not usually, hard drives are super cheap these days, but if you're looking to upgrade then its a good time to do so especially considering you have to reinstall all your apps and OS.

Customer:

I did also notice you only have 1GB of ram and a 667Mhz processor, if you want the best experience when using photoshop, this should be upgraded.

Customer:

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  ptorres007 replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.