Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I am unable to remember my password ***** the administrator, even

Customer Question

I am unable to remember my password ***** the administrator, even using the hint provided.how can I overcome this
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OS X10.9.5(13F34)
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can reset the password ***** booting into Mac OS X Utilities screen. Follow the steps below;

• Turn off your Mac.
  • Turn it back on and immediately hold down Option key at boot and select the “Recovery” disk at the boot menu (Alternatively, to boot into Mac OS X Utilities restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys)
  • This will boot your Mac to "Mac OS X Utilities” menu.
  • Click on the “Utilities” menu in top and select “Terminal".
  • Type (without space) : resetpassword
  • Press return. Confirm the user account and then change password ***** reboot as normal.

After restarting, if you get any message about Keychain then reset the keychain access database. Follow the steps below to reset Keychain;

1. Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
  2. From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
  3. Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** reset earlier).
  5. Quit Keychain Access.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I reset my password ***** your instructions, unfortunately I had an appointment before I could reset the keychain . I have returned to the task this morning and followed your instruction and have got as far as opening preferences but there is a box from message agent asking for a local items password and I cannot see beyond it to follow the instruction to general,help. Ian
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Enter your new reset password ***** force quit that box by pressing Command + Option + Esc. Then reset the keychain. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have opened the force quit box but it shows keychain access not responding so can't force quit
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Select Keychain Access and click Force Quit. Then restart your Mac and try to reset it agian.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It shows specified keychain could not be found
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can ignore it. Is everything working fine now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I continually get keychain not found coming up, how can I stop it without throwing it out the window
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Can you reset the password ***** and see if it is showing it up ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Ian, do this. In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Open the Preferences folder and trash the file named com.apple.keychainaccess.plist.

Did that work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't show that file in preferenses
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
The file is supposed to be there. Are you sure the file is not there ? Could you please check again ?

If you can't find it, goto to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.

Then close everything. Click on any blank area of desktop, hold down Option key on your keyboard click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder. Open the Preferences folder and can you find the file ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I turn my computer on it continually aka for passwords
To use the local keychain in message book,address book,safari and calendar . This is a carry over from changing my password ***** your
help several days ago. Please can you help overcome these annoying messages
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, Try to reset the keychain one more time.
  4. Authenticate with your account login password.
  5. Quit Keychain Access.

Did that work ?