Daniel
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

i have installed mac yosemite and the printer has stopped working;

Customer Question

i have installed mac yosemite and the printer has stopped working; i tried the hard drivr by repeir and verify disk and uploaded my kodak software also and nothing has changed.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.
Daniel :

, my name is***** will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Daniel :

It may be as simple as resetting the print system. Do this by opening System Preferences from the Apple menu or the gear box in the dock.

Daniel :

Then click Printers&Scanners. Right click in the printer box (the list of printers) and select Reset Print system.

Daniel :

This removes all printers from your system including any scanners.

Daniel :

It also clears any and all foults.

Daniel :

faults.

Daniel :

Then Click the + sign in the lower left coner to add the printer back to the system, if OS X does not find a driver it will go online to find it.

Daniel :

Let me know when you see this and if you have any questions about it.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

no joy tried that previously; what i do get is when printer is reinstalled and i start printing- i get filter failed. so i then reinstalled the kodak software from disc and still the same message pops up.

Daniel :

Try it agian but do not use the disk that came with the printer, it is obsolete.

Daniel :

Instead use Software update in the Apple menu to download drivers from Apple.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

ok give me a few minutes

Daniel :

Another issue may be that Yosemite is not compatible with that printer. You may need a new printer.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

no joy see pix i get when i try to print:

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

no joy sorry.... see above pix i get when i try to print

Daniel :

Pic didn't happen. This is a list of supported printer from Lion to Yosemite.OS X: Printer and scanner software available - Apple Support

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

Let me try this and get back to you- give me a few minutes plz

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

i see there is no kodak software listed by apple on here; is there one anyplace? Or apple connig public into updating to programmes which do not support common makes of printers- kodak is very big, very common.

Daniel :

I do have one trick up my sleeve that may help, may not.
CUPS.org
I
t may get you up and running.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

sorry but what does this do?

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

i had a look at this- i am no expert at macs and programmes- this is sort of asking me to learn and rewrite a programme effectivley to match OS X?

Daniel :

No, it looks complicated but isn't.
No programing needed.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

so as an expert can you tell me what it is i need to be doing here exactly a si am not a comp expert?

Daniel :

You do not say what model Kodak you have, that will help find the right one, if it exists.

Daniel :

I am trying.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

kodak ESP 3.2

Daniel :

That looks like a match .

Daniel :

If that fails I suggest a new printer. Best I can do.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

but the yosemite is 10.10 not 10.8 and below so these wouldnt work surely?

Daniel :

That is what Kodak offers and it cannot hurt to give it a try. The worse that can happen is it won't work.

Daniel :

As far as it only says 10.8 it should still be useable in11.

Daniel :

I have four printers that are perfectly good but will not work because of issues like this.

Daniel :

Best I can do , hope it helped.

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

ho sorry fell asleep; am off to work now and shant be back till 10pm- shift work. but tried launching these programmes:

• KODAK ESP 3 Mac Driver – Download (79.9MB)

• KODAK ESP 3 Firmware Mac OS X – Download (10MB)

• KODAK Cloud Printing Mac Software Connector – Download (9.3MB)

JACUSTOMER-5ppa2hsa- :

and now the computer doee not recognise these and refuses to launch them. help....

Daniel :

Did you double click to open them? They will appear as external drives and will contain installers and insructions to install the firmware in the printer.

Daniel :

Can you elaborate by the will not recognize them?