Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

My MacBook air won't turn on

My MacBook air won't turn on
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

, and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, I will need additional information. Does your Macbook air power on, but will not boot. Or does it not power on at all.

Customer: Does not power on at all
Michelle :

When you connect the power adapter, does an ***** *****ght appear on the adapter?

Customer: Initially green second and then turns amber
Michelle :

The first step to troubleshooting your issue is to reset your computers System Management Controller. To do this,

1. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.

2. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.

3. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.

4. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Customer: which is the option key...sorry, I'm rubbish at this !
Michelle :

No need to apologize. The Option key is right next to the Command button. It is the second button from the spacebar. The control key is right next to the option key

Customer: the LED turned briefly green and then Amber again, but nothing happened...ie it didn't turn on
Michelle :

You were suppose to press the power button again after pressing and holding all 3 keys. Did you press the power button?

Customer: yes
Michelle :

Can you try to press and hold only the power button secs

Customer: ok
Customer: the LED turns green and then Amber
Customer: but nothing else !!!
Michelle :

Do you have anything els connected to your computer. What happened before your macbook air decided not to power on? Would you happen to have another charger?

Customer: nothing was connected but the cursor froze on the screen. So I connected my wireless mouse. Then got an error message saying keyboard not found. So I shut the computer down and it now won't switch on
Michelle :

Okay I see that makes more sense. Your issue can either be with the logic board which is the main component of your computer OR with the entire keyboard enclosure which controls the power button.

Michelle :

Are you chatting from another mac?

Customer: no - from my ipad
Michelle :

When you press the power button, does the light on the adapter change indicating that it recognizes the button was pressed?

Customer: yes
Michelle :

In this case it appears that your Logic board is the culprit and you will need to take your mac in to get it repaired. Do you know if your mac is still under warranty?

Customer: as far as I know. I've only had it a couple of months
Michelle :

If you only had it couple of months it should still be under the one year warranty if you purchased it at an apple store.

Customer: i bought it in PC world
Michelle :

I am not familiar with PC worlds warranty policy. Let me see if I can find out

Customer: i think I'll just take it along to the store.
Michelle :

I just looked them up and it does come with a manufacture warranty but did not specify the time period. If the computer is only 4 months old it is clearly a defect provided it has not been dropped or came in contact with any liquids. Was there anything els I can assist you with today?

Customer: Ok - thanks . No that's all, thank you
Michelle :

You are so very welcome. Have a fantastic rest of your day

Customer: And you
Michelle :

Thank you. Bye now

Customer: Bye