Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

This is probably a really basic question to anyone who understands

This is probably a really basic question to anyone who understands MAC's, but....
I have downloaded after a considerable struggle a large number of photos to my MacBook Air. I want to create different albums and sub albums for them, and rename many of the pictures. Doing so on a PC is simple and intuitive, just mark them and copy them into the new album, but the Mac doesn't let me do that, when I try to rename them it tells me they will be sent to trash.
What should I do, please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have iPhoto application installed on your Mac ? Have you tried importing those photos to iPhoto ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Ashik, I can see no evidence of iPhoto. It does not appear when I click on Launchpad. Richard

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Richard, open Applications folder and can you find iPhoto there ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it's not there!

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
That means you don't have iPhoto installed on your Mac. iPhoto is the best application to organize photos in albums, events, create slideshows, photobooks and so on. I'd recommend you to get iPhoto as it is also easy to use.

You can download it from App Store. Open App Store from Applications folder and search iPhoto in AppStore. From the results, select iPhoto and download it. Here it is : https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/iphoto/id408981381?mt=12

To get iPhoto from App Store for free, then you will have to upgrade your Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.10 Yosemite. You can also download Yosemite from AppStore.

If you don't want to upgrade the OS X, then you have to buy iPhoto as discs. You can buy the iLife 11 pacakge which includes iPhoto 11. You can buy iLife 11 from eBay.com or Amazon.com

Here is one from eBay.com : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iLife-11-Upgrade-for-Mac-/321659443870?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae4659a9e

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks, ***** ***** is no simpler way of sorting photos? I hate Apple Mac so much, despite their machines looking better and not getting viruses, they have such dreadful counterintuitive software... sorry not your fault!

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
I understand your frustration Richard. Actually, iPhoto comes as preinstalled with Macs. I'm not sure why you don't have iPhoto on your Mac.

iPhoto is the best way to organize photos. You will definitely love it when you get it.

You can sort the photos in Finder. You can create folders, subfolders etc and put photos in it. But that is not actually a real sorting. You are just putting them on folders like you do other files. When renaming, do this way. Select the file, press return key, enter the name and click outside/elsewhere. You can sort by clicking the sort button and selecting name, size etc. See picture below;
graphic

I'd highly recommend you to get iPhoto or buy iLife 11 discs. Trust me, it is worth the price.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I have managed to download iPhoto (actually from the App store, it didn't seem to come when I got the updated Operating System).

It is still not easy to use.

I have worked out how to copy and cut and paste photos. However I cannot see how to create new albums, which I would like to do as sub albums of primary photo albums. How can I rename pictures?

Thanks,

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Richard, iPhoto is pretty easy to just. You just need to get familiar with it. You can click and darg the photos from Finder to the iPhoto icon in the dock to import them to iPhoto. You can create Albums from iPhoto menu in the top. See tutorials for iPhoto in here : https://www.apple.com/support/mac-apps/iphoto/

You can all find tutorials in here : http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers-software/macs-os-x/iLife-11/iPhoto.html