Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I want to arrange my files and folders sensibly in Finder.

Customer Question

I want to arrange my files and folders sensibly in Finder. I want all the Folders to come at the top, then the files. Within each category, alphabetical is fine. Tried various things, googled it and the only solution there didn't help. Can you fix this, surely it should be simple?
Currently I have all .docs, then folders, then other file types .... weird.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It is annoying but there is no way to sort it via finders settings, you need to put a space at the start in the folder name and then the folders are on top.
I know, annoying, but its a limit in finder.
Let me know if you have any difficulties please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Tried that but it doesn't seem to work either. Do you mean I have to put a space in front of EVERY folder name maybe? Didn't try that - rather tedious but will do if necessary.

Thanks for v quick response.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes sorry, every one of them as then it sorts them on top
Or try MuCommander instead as an alternative to Finder
Much better and free
You can get it here
http://www.mucommander.com/index.php#download
Let me know how you go
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still no good I'm sure I'm missing something!

So I'm only really bothered about one folder in Finder. Within that folder I have 9 folders. All of them now have spaces (it wasn't even tedious!) but nothing has changed.

I've tried variations on Sort by name and sort by kind, no change. All docs first, then folders.

Surely I don't have to put the space in front of every folder and sub folder??

I had a quick look at mucommander but don't feel keen to go for that just now.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, to put them on top you have to Mary
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks but I'm afraid as I use the system very little I don't want to pay any extra - good value though it may be. It's not a critical issue either - just a frustration. Sorry. I will try spaces before ALL folders - seems weird as you'd think different folders could be set up to behave differently.

What difference does Arrange by Name Sort by kind make?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Sort by Kind is for the type of file eg: PDF, DOC ect
Name is ***** ***** you want Name for the Space to work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Brilliant that has done it. Both set to Name and it works. I didn't have to do it in every folder.

Thank you very much indeed, brilliant service!