Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

calendars and Contacts on my Outlook 365 will not sync with

Customer Question

calendars and Contacts on my Outlook 365 will not sync with my Ipad or IPhone (or vice versa) meaning I cannot trust either Functions
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Johnny Mack :

Hello there! Lets remove the mail account you have there now and try this

Johnny Mack :

• Go to “Settings” and tap “Mail, Contacts, Calendars” to add an account;

• Choose Microsoft Exchange;

• Leave the “Domain” box empty. Enter the email, username and password. Use the full email address in the ”Email” and “Username” boxes.

• Tap “Next”. It will start an automatic search for settings to set up your account.

• Choose the data you want to synchronize. By default, it will sync your Mail, Contacts and Calendars.

Johnny Mack :

wait for it to finish syncing then verify your contacts/calendars are there

Johnny Mack :

if that doesnt work post the name of your email provider and we will figure out whats being held up :)

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Sorry are you talking about going to Settings on my Iphone or Ipad

Johnny Mack :

first iphone

Johnny Mack :

then after we get that working we will do it to the ipad

Johnny Mack :

Sorry I wasn't specific

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok Johnny,

Johnny Mack :

ill be here so take your time :)

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

when I go to add an account, I get a choice of icloud, E Exchange (not Microsoft Exchange) Google, Yahoo, Aol. & Outlook.com.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

I have tried to chose Exhange, but it's asking me for an email address, Password and description ( id o not have an excahneg account)

Johnny Mack :

no worries click exchange then if it asks you for some info that you dont have write it here and ill tell you what to put

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Sorry you will have to take m,e through this step by step.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

iT has also asked me for a Server name - ????

Johnny Mack :

ok click exchange then tell me what it asks for

Johnny Mack :

are there boxes for your user name and password?

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

WHat email address am I to put in ??

Johnny Mack :

as well as email?

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

your 3.13 pm

Johnny Mack :

The same email address you have been using with office 365

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

it asks me for an email address, a passowrd and 'Description (my Exchange accounbt - I dont have one)

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

second pls

Johnny Mack :

the emaill address password ***** user name ( first part of the email before the @ sign)

Johnny Mack :

ok no worries

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

For clarity, the email address I pick up my emails through Outlook is *****@******.*** - Manx Telecom (Isle of Man). I have an Outlook email but never use it - *****@******.***

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Which one do I put into Exchange

Johnny Mack :

ok use the manx telecom

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Firstly its telling me it cannot find my email address, then it allowsme to go further but is aking for a Server -??

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Manx.net??

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Haveing put in Manx.net - trelling me it cannot verify the Server identity

Johnny Mack :

here is the server]

Johnny Mack :

mailin.manx.net

Johnny Mack :

then for outgoing or smtp put mailout.manx.net

Johnny Mack :

thats if it asks for it

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Sorry, nowhere near getting that far. It is refusing to identify the info.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

So ewhat I have in is the following

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

my email address : *****@******.***

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Server: mailin.manx.net

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Domain - Nothing

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

username: gerryganly

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

and the passowrd I use to access the manx.net account when i need to

Johnny Mack :

thats all we would need to enter and your saying its giving you an error?

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

When I hit next after the above, the responding message is telling me 'Unable to verify the account Inforation'

Johnny Mack :

ok delete everything we put in

Johnny Mack :

and use the other email from office 365

Johnny Mack :

server will be outlook.office365.com

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

is my user name definitely going to be the first part of my email address before @

Johnny Mack :

yes thats correct

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

sec

Johnny Mack :

were going to also need your server name

Johnny Mack :

this is something you created when you first made the outlook account

Johnny Mack :

1. Open your web browser or, if it's already open, open a new window.

2. Go to the sign-in page that matches the type of account you have.

Account

Type

Sign-in information

Office 365 for business (Office 365 Small Business, Office 365 Midsize Business, Office 365 Enterprise, Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Business Premium)

Cloud based

Go to the Office 365 sign-in page.

Office 365 operated by 21Vianet

Cloud based

Go to the Office 365 operated by 21vianet page.

Corporate Exchange-based email that does not use Office 365

On-premises (Microsoft Exchange Server)

Go to the web address provided by the person who manages your email account. For example, a company named Contoso might use an address such as https://mail.contoso.com.

3. Enter the full email address (for example,***@******.***) for your Office 365 for business, Office 365 Education, or other Exchange-based email. Contact the person who manages your email account if you don't know your email address and password.

4. Enter your password.

5. Click Sign in.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

ok, going through my *****@******.*** email address gets me forward into a poage where I have four topis : Mail, Contacts, Calendars & Reminders all on' Green'

Johnny Mack :

ok so they are set to sync

Johnny Mack :

continue and after the sync verify you have all your calendars/contacts

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Johnny, I need to be very particylar here, I do NOT want to use an Outlook.com email address - are we on the same wavelength on this ?

Johnny Mack :

i understand but contacts and calendars are part of that outlook 365 account and with out it they will not sync over

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok, well I have a Home version of Office 365 will I just go to the Office 365 page on another window - I am way behind you here...........

Johnny Mack :

alright like i said no rush just wanted you to have the info before hand

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

No, not letting get into my @outlook.com account - have tried all my password ***** i think it could be

Johnny Mack :

I belive your right as we would need that account info to continue on

Johnny Mack :

you should be able to reset your password ***** as well

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Am in proces of resetting passowrd - hopefully!!

Johnny Mack :

sounds good

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok Johnny, I believe ai Have signed in

Johnny Mack :

great now add the info needed to your iphone.
You don’t need to type anything in the Domain box. Type the information requested in the Email, Username, and Password ***** Type your full email address (for example,***@******.***) in the Email andUsername boxes

Johnny Mack :

The name of the server running Exchange ActiveSync is shown in the address bar of your browser when you're signed in to Outlook Web App, but without the leadinghttps:// and the trailing /owa. For example, if the address you use to access Outlook Web App is https://mail.contoso.com/owa, your server name is mail.contoso.com.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

just bear with me on this pls

Johnny Mack :

sure :)

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

ok Johnny what I have done is the following: Deleted the Exchange acciunt from my phone that I created earlier, and now Add an New account on exchange. when I put in my email address and passowrd, I am brought to a page where I am asked to save Mail, Contacts , Calendars etc all i 'green' for go if that makes sense. I have saved that and it brings me back out to the general @Mail' page where I can see I have accounts with Icloud, Exchange, Outlook - so where to fomr here pls?

Johnny Mack :

So its either currently syncing your information or already done. We can now go to the ical app and verify that your calendars are there.

Johnny Mack :

as well as check your address book for contacts

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok Johnny, so when I look at my Iphone calendar on one particular day, one appointment for 24th Feb is m issing from my phone and this particular appointment is one I 'accepted' the invite from the other person.

Johnny Mack :

I would check the web outlook and verify its on there.If its not on there then the invited wasnt accepted correctly.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Equally, now showing on my phone is a invite I made earlier to eomeone else at my request - that is shoiwn on all the devices.

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

??

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok, on outlook it is telling me I accepted the invite

Johnny Mack :

so it is showing on the date?

Johnny Mack :

do you have more then one calendar?

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Ok, so what I see when I look at my outlook are different 'colours of appointment but not sure how that might happen as I just go through a very simple process of either making a diary entry or an appointmrnet and 'inviting' someone etc. I dont think I do anything out of the ordinary in creating one type rather than another

Johnny Mack :

Well it should of synced what we can do is the same process on the ipad and see if ti shows up there

Johnny Mack :

also it might be still syncing depending on the amount of information it can take up to an hour

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

so I have just tried a 'test' through outlook for the 26th ( blank day) and it hasnbt not shown on my iphone (or for that matter on I pad)

Johnny Mack :

so its still syncing then

Johnny Mack :

just give it some time to finish

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

By the way do I need to go through the same process with my Ipad - albeit offline?

Johnny Mack :

yes you would need to do the ipad now as well

Johnny Mack :

same process same info :)

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Johnny, sorry, but given that a lot of information should be on all the devices already, when you talk about taking a while to sync - It has worked before and I have seen new appointments appearing instantaneously on my Ipad in the past - that's how it should be yeh?

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

Johnny

Johnny Mack :

It should be but its for some reason taking longer then normal. Since we already made sure that contacts and calendars is being sync'd it should come up eventually

Johnny Mack :

most exchanges are not push by the way

Johnny Mack :

meaning it only syncs at a certain time or when you manually sync the calendars

JACUSTOMER-vgeczfjh- :

I have just done a test from my Pad - setting up an diary entry on my Ipad and it has immediately hit my PC Outlook but has not hit my Iphone. Separately the test I did the other way from my PC has not gone to my Ipad or Iphone - is that now basic settings - sorry about this. thanks

Johnny Mack :

Appreantly so if anything we would have to restore the iphone from new then setup sytnc

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Hello again! Just wanted to check if you issue was resolved if so please rate this response.