Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I've forgotten my MacBook password (I needed it to download

I've forgotten my MacBook password (I needed it to download Silverlight). I've tried 2 of the suggested on-line retrieval methods (with & without the orginal start up disc) but without success.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
David
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Not sure! The MacBook is 5-6 yrs old, but original system might have been changed. I guess (hope!)there may be a simple way to find out

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 15 seconds and does that boot into the Mac OS X Utilities screen ?
If it is, then you are using 10.7 or later. Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No--nothing happened

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Then you are using 10.6 or lower. One more thing to check. Restart and immediately hold down Option key on your keyboard and this will boot into startup manager. What do you see in that screen ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nothing different. How immediately do I need to hit the key on restart? I did it once my background picture had reappeared, should I have done it sooner, when the computer first shows a sign of life?

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you should've done it sooner. Otherwise it won't work. Turn off your Mac completely. Turn it back on and immediately hold down Command and R keys before the sound or background picture appears.
Restart and Try holding Option key if Command R keys does nothing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, pressing the option key on restart gives me a grey screen with a central illustration & MacIntosh HD printed below with an arrow below that
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Wait, you are able to boot into the OS X desktop. Right ? So click on the Apple icon and select About This Mac. You can find the version number there. Let me know..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Version 10.5.8
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Thanks David. We can try to reset the password ***** booting into Single User Mode.
You can create a new user account from Single User Mode. Then login to that new account and you can change the password ***** your old account.
Follow the steps below to create a new User Account in Single User Mode.
• Reboot your Mac
• Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) + S key to boot into Single User Mode
• When you see the text prompt, type in the following terminal commands to create a brand new Admininstrator account (hitting return after each line):
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
After rebooting, you should be able to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account. Please try these steps even if you have tried it before. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh dear! It's asking for my old password.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Are you in the new account now ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should there have been a prompt to create the new account? I went straight to system preferences & onto "accounts"
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
David, please follow my instructions exactly. You will not be able to reset just by going to System Preferences account. Please do the steps exactly and let me know if you get any errors.
Follow the steps below ecarefully.
• Turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and Immediately hold down the Command(Apple) and S keys at the same time to boot into Single User Mode
mount -uw /
rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone
shutdown -h now
After rebooting, you should get a screen to create a brand new Administrator account. Then goto System Preferences > Accounts, select your old account and change the password. Then logout from Apple menu and login to the old account.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
David, I'm just checking. How is it going ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Ashik. Just completed! Have managed to recreate new account & can access old as well. There's now some query about my "Keychain password" but I think I'll have a rest & search for that later. The sun's still shining & I now need to get outside for a bit! Many thanks for your help.

David

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
David, just reset the keychain too. Follow the steps below;
Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
Click General, then click Reset My Default Keychain.
Authenticate with your account login password (the password ***** step earlier).
Quit Keychain Access.
That should fix it. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Ashik
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
And you're welcome David.
You can get rid of the old account if you don't want it. If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Have a great day,
Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi David,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Ashik