Viet - Mac Tech
Viet - Mac Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Support Mac laptops, desktops, & iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.
30037186

I have an iPad 2 i want to sell it and erase all data

I have an iPad 2 i want to sell it and erase all data and settings. The problem is it will not accept my passcode to do this, even after taking the maximum ten tries it does not wipe the settings etc. I also not it will not allow me to change the restrictions option( which I had set ) at the password ***** However I can change the password ***** problem at the red password ***** I have also tried the ' itunes route ' to bypass the problem with erasure but to no avail. any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Gerry
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.

Hello Gerald! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer / tablet professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.

I'm sorry about the issue. Do you mean you've tried the iTunes route on a computer? If so, do you have a windows or mac computer?

What happens when you tried the iTunes method?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Windows
What does it say in the iTunes program when you tried the iTunes method? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I did no qualify this further. It actually did not come up with any message ( it should have ) after running through for a few hours
Open the iTunes program on the computer, then plug in the iPad, then select the iPad device at the top in the iTunes program, then select the Summary option, then select the Restore... option, then what happens? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi...... I don't have the computer with me.... In fact Ian's on my way to work so can't do this now.......if you can leave any suggestions I can take forward this evening.....I'll be happy with that

Yes, here are the instructions:

• Open the iTunes program on your computer.
  • Press & hold the Power button on the iPad until it lets you slide to turn off, then slide to turn off.
  • Connect the iPad to your computer with the iPad's USB cable.
  • On the iPad, press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After 10 or 11 seconds, release the Power button, but continue holding the Home button (for about another 10 seconds) until the iTunes program shows that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore / factory reset.

Note: The steps must be done correctly, so you may have to try a couple of times, or so.

- Also, you can watch video instructions at the website below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6FSHAp6fvk

You can get back to me anytime, and I will reply back to you as soon as I'm at my computer. When you are available, please click on the Reply to Expert tab below, and reply back to me, so we can continue. Thank you,