Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

, hope you can help Some friends tried to access icloud

Customer Question

Hi, hope you can help
Some friends tried to access icloud on my IPad in order to try to send a video. They were unsuccessful and ever since my ipad keeps demanding my Apple Password ***** order to sign in to icloud, when I don't even need or really ever want icloud!!!. When I type in my password ***** answer the questions which follow I still have the problem. I am told that this is a "glitch" of sorts. The problem is getting worse as my Ipad now keeps freezing up and when videoing the screen goes completely black. I wait for quite a while before I can do anything and often have to switch off completely!!
Could you please give me some easy to follow steps so that I may overcome this and get my ipad back to the point where I can enjoy using it.
It does, incidentally, when working correctly, give me a great way of communicating with my friends, downloading all my emails, etc - I am so glad I bought one. I have thoroughly enjoyed having it: embracing its photo and video capacity on holidays and with grandchildren, quickly searching the internet etc.
I do so hope I can get it "back to normal!
Yours in hope and desperation
Jean Davies
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Mike the Mac Medic :

Go to Settings / iCloud and Sign Out. Let me know if you get the message again.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then go to Settings / General / About what is listed next to Version?

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

Just tried and ipad seized up, will try again in a minute. Just heard an email received, by iCloud Drive to the right is the green "button" showing it is on. when I touch this I am prevented from doing anything. Normally when in settings I press this green icon and things switch from on to off but nothing here. Every time I press it the ipad freezes up.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Go to Settings / General / About what is listed next to Version?

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

will in a minute, the darn thing has frozen and had to switch off - back soon!!

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK do you sync and backup to your computer? Without iCloud you have no backup otherwise?

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

next to version is 8.1.3(12B466) hope this is what you need. have had ipad 2 years now.

Mike the Mac Medic :

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

not quite sure - my son set up ipad alongside my husband's laptop so that I am linked with our broadband. I can get all my emails on either. I don't back up to pc

Mike the Mac Medic :

Does another member of your family use iTunes on the computer to sync?

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

no

Mike the Mac Medic :

Ok first go to App Store and check for updates to all your apps, install any that are needed.

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

ok will do but seized up again. did update recently, will be back to you when I can get some action out of the darn thing!!

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK if they are up to date you need to download the latest iTunes to your computer and then plug in the iPad, tell me what message you get when you open iTunes

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

this may take me a little while, not that I have many apps but ... thanks for your patience

Mike the Mac Medic :

OK

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

frozen again. I don't have many apps but one is discoverHK (Hong Kong) when we visited. could get rid of that and PodOmatic, which I don't use either, but I cant work out how to delete them.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Just hold down on it until you see and X then select the X to delete.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Then the same for the other app then hit the Menu button to go out of that mode.

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

sorry it's ipad not responding at all. will charge and come back to your advice. I'm afraid after a very busy day I am now getting very tired and my eyes are becoming sore. I see I can Save and Exit. If I do that can I come back to you tomorrow sometime please. I am in the UK and our time now is 8.35 pm. I am guessing you may be in the US, with a time difference, so could you give me an idea of the best time to contact you. As tomorrow is Sunday you may wish to defer to Monday.

Mike the Mac Medic :

Tomorrow is ok but I am in Chicago and won't be online until about 2 pm my time it is about 2:30 now. Otherwise just come back Monday when you are ready.

JACUSTOMER-q11625jl- :

many thanks

Mike the Mac Medic :

ok