Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

This is an MS Office question. I have just installed

This is an MS Office for MAC question. I have just installed Office365 for Mac to serve 2 iMacs and a Macbook. Previously, I was using Office 2008 for Mac. On this application, (2008) using Outlook, I set up several extra mail folders designated ON MY MAC. How do I transfer those mail folders from Office2008 to Office365 (Outlook MS 2011) ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Johnny Mack :

Hello there! Please follow the steps below to migrate your emails from office 08 to office 365

Johnny Mack :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

Johnny Mack :

1. In the Exchange admin center, go to Recipients > Migration.

2. Choose New[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] > Migrate to Exchange Online.

Select Migrate to Exchange Online

3. On the Select a migration type page, choose Cutover migration > next.

4. On the Confirm the migration endpoint page, the migration endpoint information is listed. Verify the information and then choose next.

Johnny Mack :

1. On the Move configuration page, type the name (cannot contain spaces or special characters) of the migration batch, and then choose next. The batch name is ***** ***** the list of migration batches on the Migration page after you create the migration batch.

2. On the Start the batch page, choose one of the following:

• Automatically start the batch The migration batch is started as soon as you save the new migration batch with a status of Syncing.

• Manually start the batch later The migration batch is created but is not started. The status of the batch is set to Created. To start a migration batch, select it on the migration dashboard, and then choose Start.

3. Choose new to create the migration batch.

The new migration batch is displayed on the migration dashboard.

Johnny Mack :

2. On the migration dashboard, select the batch and then choose Start.

3. If a migration batch starts successfully, its status on the migration dashboard changes to Syncing.

Customer:

I cannot find the Exchange admin centre. Where should I look for it?

Customer:

I cannot find the Exchange admin centre on my Mac. Where do I find it? I have already asked this question and have yet to receive your reply.

kazkillinger :

that would be in office 365 on the main office page that opens when you open 365

Customer:

Where do I find the Exchange admin centre? Without that I cannot get started.

kazkillinger :

open office 365

kazkillinger :

when it opens it will be a option

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Exchange admin centre does not appear as an option. Having installed Office365, my app.folder shows MSOffice2011 with Doc. Connection; Excel; Outlook; Powerpoint;Word. Where is the 'main office page'?

Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
Office 356 is really just Office 2011 open Outlook in the Office 2011 folder see if it auto transfers your accounts and let me know.. we can manually do it if not
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's not my accounts that I need to transfer, it's the On my Mac mail folders in Outlook 2008 that I wish to transfer and I can't see that Office 2011 Outlook offers me that option.

Sorry I meant Identitiy. If it did not auto import your ON My Mac folders... Open Outlook go to File / Import choose one of the first two options and then navigate to your old Documents / Microsoft User Data folders and find your old Identity.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I followed your procedure and selected Outlook for Mac Data File (.olm) then Office 2008 Identities then Main Identity – but MS would not allow me to import – the icon for Main Identity remained un-highlighted , likewise the Import tab. The Cancel tab was the only live button. Please advise.

Do you still have Office 2008 installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, is that causing the problem? (I'm not a techie)

In that case open Outlook in Office 2008 select your On My Mac folders and put them all in one new category to make it easier then export them to an olm file choosing only Mail and that category like this:

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Outlook in Office 2008 will not let me export my folder. The olm option does not appear....only on Office 2011 as an import which doesn't work as per my previous message(16 March 06:32 EST

Sorry I meant Entourage... I don't have that version here... "You can export information from Entourage in several file formats, including an Entourage archive, an MBOX, and a tab-delimited text file.

An Entourage archive file (.rge) can contain e-mail messages, contacts, events, notes, tasks, and project files. You can use an archive to back up your information or to transfer it to Entourage on another computer. An MBOX file contains a set of mail messages that you can import back into Entourage or into some other mail applications. A tab-delimited text file can contain contacts from an address book that you can import back into Entourage or into many other mail, spreadsheet, and database applications."

Both .rge and MBOX can be imported to Outlook 2011

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Mike ...but alas, after I'd downloaded Entourage 2008, Web Service Edition via Safari and double-clicked to open it, the following message appeared "Entourage 2008, Web Services Edition" can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed."

Any further thoughts would be appreciated. Martin

I thought you said you still had Office 2008 installed? Go to System Preferences / Security and Allow apps from Anywhere
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

After Security there is no option to Allow apps from Anywhere.

System Preferences / Security & Privacy/ the General tab at the bottom: Allow Apps Downloaded from: click the lock to unlock then click on Anywhere

Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Did you find that?