Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have a Mac, MacBook Pro & iPhone, & my wife has an iPad whic

Customer Question

I have a Mac, MacBook Pro & iPhone, & my wife has an iPad which syncs with my system. Wrong passcode have resulted in the iPad being closed down. Have tried to reopen it, but am worried about loosing data. Would like to separate the iPad from my stuff to avoid confusion. Hope you can help.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Sorry it was not completly clear, but your able to use the iPad? Or its locked and you cannot unlock it as it wont accept your code?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's locked

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
And what happens when you enter in the passcode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cannot access the screen to enter the passcode. Just have a frozen screensaver image.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you please hold the power and home button on the iPad for about 10 seconds until the apple logo appears, then release the buttons.
Let the iPad restart and then try to unlock it.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As I mentioned before I have tried this and simply get the frozen zoomed in screensaver which I cannot delete, move, reduce, it simply slides around on the screen.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Paul, I needed to ensure you did the instructions exactly as mentioned
You will have to try to reset the iPad
To do the reset
Connect the iPAd to the computer and open itunes
Hold the power and home button down until you see
"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."
Click Restore iPad, let this complete and then check if it now functions
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will this delete all the information on the iPad or can it be backed up?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes it will but we cannot back it up Paul as it is not operational at all.
If you previously made a backup in itunes we can restore that after we can get it working, but we cannot back it up in its present state.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will connect & do the procedure. Can you respond please so that I can let you know the outcome and seek advice if I have problems

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Paul
Awaiting the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The update is completed. Not sure what to do next? The iPad is as before with screensaver stuck.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you said Update, but it should have done a restore.
Did it do a restore as per my instructions Paul?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think I clicked on update & restore

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, there two different things so you cannot do both.
Make sure you do my instructions and click on Restore please Paul, you need to run a restore.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The caption on my MacBook gives one option to restore & backup. Then 'iTunes will verify & restore with Apple. After this process is complete (which it is now) you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages & other settings'.

I clicked on that before, so there seems little point in pressing it again.

What next please - I am very late for a meeting & may have to end this very soon.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it is not able to restore it and this is caused by the issue on the iPhone.
It is the internal memory that has faulted else we would have been able to restore it.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out now.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

can't understand why it is the iPhone at fault - do you mean the iPad?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry Paul, I re-read my message and did a typo, yes iPad (sorry I deal all day with both devices).
That was a typo on my behalf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Richard, I visited the Apple Shop in Solihull yesterday & it took one of the assistants less than a minute to discover that the zoom setting was on & that the zoom was opened fully & the screen locked, subject to carrying out the correct procedure for unlocking the screen via 2 taps with 3 fingers.

I appreciate I mentioned the locking of the iPad because of incorrect passcodes which apparently had unlocked following a period of closure to ensure the iPad was not being opened by someone other than the owner. Your efforts to analyse solve the problem failed & I am surprised to find that I have been charged £28 for a failed attempt to help. Can you arrange a refund please?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the whole time you said the screen was frozen and was not responding and that the problem was it was locked.
I can only go on how you explained the issue
You get your refund here
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund
But I ask if you work with people over text based communications it is best to be as clear and descriptive as possible, explaining the whole issue.
Thanks and all the best