Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have just installed Mac OSX Snow Leopard and in the process

I have just installed Mac OSX Snow Leopard and in the process selected Firefox as my search engine. My husband disposed of Safari into the Trash bin and since then I've lost my desktop files and have no toolbar. HELP
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Do you have the Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can reinstall Mac OS X Snow Leopard from the discs. That will reinstall Safari.
Insert the Mac OS X disc 1, restart your Mac and hold down the C key on your keyboard. This will boot into the disc, once it booted into disc then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X.
Reinstalling the OS X will not delete any files from your Mac. It will just replace the old system files with new one including Safari and that will also fix the slowness of yoru Mac.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did as you advised and then went on to upgrade safari as the system requested it. I now have the old version of yahoo and it's asking me to upgrade safari so that I can get the updated yahoo..help. The system remains slow which I think is to do with Firefox which is trying to be my default search engine. I also have no tool bar showing Microsoft programs or Finder etc etc.,

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Download and install this update on your Mac -- > https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?locale=en_IN
After updating, turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and hold down Command, Option, P and R keys at the same time for 4 seconds and then let it boot. Does that work ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My system is so bad I will need to take it to Apple thanks for your help.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Mary, there is one more thing to do. Backup all your important files and do a fresh install of Snow Leopard by erasing the hard drive.
Backup your important files to an external hard drive. Then boot into the Snow Leopard disc (like you did before i.e by holding down C key).
In the installation screen, click on Utilities menu in the top and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk and click Erase. After erasing, close Disk Utility and continue installation. Remember, this will erase everything from the hard drive and install a fresh Mac OS X.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help, and if not to say Thanks for using JustAnswer.

I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.

Thanks and Have a great day,
Ashik