Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have an iPhone 5s that was working fine but has now gone

Customer Question

I have an iPhone 5s that was working fine but has now gone haywire. can't send text messages as it won't let me stay on the page to write. Any suggestions or is the phone dead?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you please hold the power and home button on the iPhone for about 10 seconds until the apple logo appears, then release the buttons.
Let the iPad restart and then check if it now functions correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No this didn't work.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, when you say it wont stay on the page, is it instantly closing the page?
Are other functions working?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It does;t necessarily close, but it will start typing on its own, jump to a different app, start calling numbers that haven't been dialled etc. Nothing is working properly

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the firmware has corrupted.
First, do you have data you need to backup on the Phone as this next step is going to remove all data.
Please let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Will that remove all my contacts??

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
yes, which is why I want to check if you have backed up the phone first
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I haven't and won't be able to until later today. when I have done, do I just restore to factory settings? Do you think that will work?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will confirm if it is either a Firmware issue which the reset reinstalls, or a hardware issue (the logic board) and that would require a replacement of the iPhone.
But most times it is the firmware that is the issue, and once you do the reset, it will correct it. When you have backed up the iPhone, you do the reset by going to Settings, General, Reset, Erase all content and reset settings.
Then you setup the iPhone again, and if it was the firmware then it will function.
Else the iPhone would need to be replaced.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Saved content, reset it but it's still jumping about. What do you suggest next?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Just to be sure, the phone was returned to new correct?
It made you set it all up again?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's correct

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It seems to be doing a bit better. How do import contacts that are saved in the cloud?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, go to Settings, iCloud and turn it on for contacts which will import them from the cloud
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok have my contacts on there now. It's not running as it should jumping from one app to another. Guess I'll have to take it to the apple store. but thank you

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Its a hardware fault, and is either the main board or digitizer.
You will need to return it sorry, but it will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired and the repair will be done under this.
But we have now confirmed this.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Just been given a phone but don't know her password ***** delete all. Any suggestions

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
To do the reset
Connect the phone to the computer and open itunes
Hold the power and home button down until you see
"iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode..."
Click Restore Phone, let this complete and it should now work
Let me know the results please