Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I am unable to open iPhoto. I double click on the icon and

I am unable to open iPhoto. I double click on the icon and nothing happens. I right click on the icon and click 'Open' but nothing happens! Any suggestions please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am excited to get started with you.

So I can better assist you, will need additional information. What operating system are you running? To find out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose About this Mac.

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

hi Michelle

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

The operating system is OS X Yosemite

Michelle :

Thanks for the additional information. The first step is to see if the issue is with your iPhoto Library or the Application itself. We will need to create a new Library. To do so press and hold down the option key while launching iPhoto

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Sorry, which is the option key? !!

Michelle :

The option key is the second button from the spacebar.

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

The icon went dark but nothing else happened!

Michelle :

Is there a black dot underneath the iPhoto icon?

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

How long should I hold down the option key?

Michelle :

You should hold down the option key and then click to open iPhoto. You should continue holding down the option key until a box pops up

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

There is not a black dot beneath the iPhoto icon. There is under a number of th other icons including the internet icon.

Michelle :

Click on the Apple logo and choose App Store. Click on the Updates tab. What updates are listed?

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

3:

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Security, iMovie and iPhone with the word 'RESUME' beside it

Michelle :

Those do not seem like they relate to iPhoto. Instead, we will reset iPhoto. This will not erase any of your pictures. Before we do that, Click on Finder (Happy face icon) Choose Photos in the left column. Then double click on your iPhoto Library

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Photos is not listed in the left hand column!

Michelle :

Is your account name listed?

Michelle :

With a house icon

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

I can't see one

Michelle :

Click on Go at the top menu within Finder and choose Home

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

OK, done that!

Michelle :

Within the Home folder, Click on the Pictures folder

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

ok

Michelle :

Within the picture folder, do you see iPhoto Library? If so, double click on it

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

I double clicked on it but nothing has happened!

Michelle :

Okay lets reset iPhoto.

1. Click on Finder

2. Choose Go from the top menu bar and choose Go to Folder

3. Paste this inside and press Go ~/Library

4. Within the Libraries folder, Choose Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/Data/Library/Preferences

5. Delete com.apple.iPhoto.plist

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Done that!

Michelle :

Okay now launch iPhoto

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Still not responding I'm afraid.

Michelle :

Alright, lets repair your computers permission. When it is done, you will need to restart your computer so bookmark our chat so you can get back.
1. Click on the magnifying glass and type in Disk Utility
2. Choose macintosh HD from the left column and choose repair permissions

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Sorry Michelle but where do I find the magnifying glass? !!

Michelle :

Im sorry. The magnifying glass is in the upper right corner

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Got it!

Michelle :

Once disk utility is open. Select macintosh HD in the left column. Then choose Repair Permissions

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Repairs complete. I've bookmarked this page as suggested. If I restart the computer now, can I come back to you later today (its 00.30!). Many thanks for your help so far - I'm keeping fingers crossed!

Michelle :

Sure! I will also leave you with a list of instructions that you can try incase iPhoto still does not open.

Michelle :

I am on EST time by the way.

JACUSTOMER-sr8m3pmd- :

Thank you. I am impressed with your knowledge of getting around this computer system! I will click 'Save and Exit'. I will also click the rating face - you can probably tell which! I thought you might be across the 'Pond'! Great having your smiley photo too!

Michelle :

Thank you so much for your kind words! Please keep me posted on your results. Bye for now

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.

Hi Rob,
In case Repairing your computer's permission did not resolve your iPhoto issue, please follow these steps
1. Open Finder, choose Go from the top menu bar and choose Home. Select your Pictures Folder
2. Right-Click on iPhoto Library and choose "Show Package Content"
3. Locate iPhotoLock.data and drag it onto the Desktop.
4. Launch iPhoto

If iPhoto does not launch, proceed to the next set of instructions
Delete iPhoto and Re-install it
1.Before deleting iPhoto, open the App Store and click on the Purchases tab
2. Make use iPhoto is on the list. If it is, delete iPhoto
3. Open Finder and choose Go from the top menu. Select Applications. Within the applications folder, drag iPhoto into the trash and empty it. Also, remove the iPhoto icon from the dock. (Right-click the icon, choose Options>Remove from dock)
4. Open the app store and click on Store from the top menu. Choose Reload Page
5. Click on the Purchase tab and locate iPhoto. Click on Install. Once the installation is complete, open iPhoto. If it still says open, reload the page again.

If iPhoto is still being stubborn, you will need to re-install your operating system. This will not erase any of your data
1. Restart your mac while pressing and holding Command+ R
2. Once booted into the recovery disk. (Choose your language if prompted to do so)
3. Choose Re-install Mac OS X and follow the on screen instructions.

Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Michelle

Thanks again for your help last evening. After 'resting' for a few hours, iPhoto is back in business and all seems well! Maybe I had overloaded the computer - I had just downloaded some 5000 photos from a recent tour and perhaps it took a bit longer for the computer to sort them out. However, I'm pleased to have gone though the process of checking with you - certainly could not have done this on my own - and I noticed a couple of 'repairs' resulted during the process.

Thanks again

Rob

Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Hello Rob,
You are so very welcome and I am so excited to hear that you're back in business! Importing 5000 photos at one time does sound like a pretty big job for iPhoto to complete simultaneously. If you ever have any additional questions or concerns, I will be here!