Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

I have just downloaded a new version of java and it has corrupted

Customer Question

I have just downloaded a new version of java and it has corrupted my computer how do i get rid of it and set my system back to how it was before
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please exactly how it has corrupted your computer?
What issue are you experiencing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has changed my home page from google to ask jeeves

I got this email not long ago which i forgot about

Dear Martin Kuchczynfki,
Java update currently is coming bundled with the Ask.com toolbar, which is deceptively set to install by default. This adware will affect browsers including Safari and Chrome and can potentially hijack your browser history.
We suggest call 0(###) ###-#### to get this adware removed.

Potential risks of installing the ASK.com Toolbar:

Reset your browser homepage and default search engine
Skews search results by displaying ads and sponsored links
Allows writing of malicious codes that can exploit the vulnerability
May gain access to your computer
Pollute your user experience for all Java-based programs

0(###) ###-#### Call to save from browser hijacking.
Good karma!
iYogi Security Experts.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Martin, this is a virus
Which internet browser are you using and I can tell you how to fix this ef: Safari, Google Chrome?.
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and fix the issue if possible.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps for repair.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you please go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download in the top right.
Go down to "TeamViewer Quicksupport"
Click on Download and download and run the program.
It will give you an ID and a Password.
Please give me the ID (leave a space between each character eg: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) and the password ***** your next message to me here.
Do not close the program, but leave it open.
I can then connect to your computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the page i get does not seem to have team viewer quick support unless you mean the download button

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, click the download button please
And run the program
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

richard i have to be somewhere else in 30 mins can i contact you later as i do not seem to be able to get connected to you

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, there is no time limit on this Martin.
I will be here then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi richard I'm back with you .I have just tried logging in but it will not recognise me

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Go here please http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mac.aspx Scroll down and click the Grey Download button run that file and give me the ID and Password ***** Martin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It gives me a code of 178 234 931 and password ***** 385dau

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks