Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

, I have a 3Tb iMac with 32 Gb memory running OSX10.9.5.

Customer Question

I have a 3Tb iMac with 32 Gb memory running OSX10.9.5. of the 3Tb 1.31 remains available.
I am getting messages that say I have run out of application memory and pausing open applications. If I even open 'get info' I am urged to close it! Effectively my machine is locked up. How can I escape from this situation. Thank you for any help you can offer
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
First, if you restart the computer, can you at least for a short time use it?
If so, download Memory Clean from here
https://fiplab.com/apps/memory-clean-for-mac
run this and perform a clean and when done, tell me if the Mac now operates correctly please.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks a million! That seems to have done the job, Ive ran sum memory hungry apps for a few minutes and it seems good, it freed up 14 Gb of memory, what could have been taking up that space,any idea?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No idea sorry Richard, just because I do not know the history of your computer.
Can be anything from apps, files or general use, but keep this program on hand and you will avoid this problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello Again Richard,

After rating your assistance yesterday, I have received the same message i.e. - no Application Memory things seemed OK for a while, I was doing some photo editing in Aperture which is quite memory intensive. I am sure that the Memory Clean has helped as things don't 'hang' as they did before. Any other ideas?

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Your using up the memory Richard, the only real solution as you can'gt stop this if your doing intensive work is to run the Memory Clean when this happens and clean out the memory periodically.
I don't believe you can add any more physical memory to the iMac
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Richard,

Thanks again, do you think a clean install, or a restore from time machine might help. (perhaps losing some unessential applications) This Mac is used for photos and music not much else!

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will ensure that no other programs that you have previously installed but do not use are hogging memory.
A restore from Time machine wont help but a reinstall likely would Richard.