Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

my imac , its has OS 10.6.8 is hanging and terribly slow

Customer Question

Hi my imac , its has OS 10.6.8 is hanging and terribly slow to load when starting it and also when trying to load any application or do any task, it's unuasable, do i need to reinstall os , I also don't have the disks to install it, any advice would be appreciated.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
When you tried to start it in Safe mode, did it start into Safe Mode then?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Can you power off the Mac please
Then hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
When your computer finishes starting up, choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Once it has completed (it can take some time), then check and tell me please how the Mac now operates.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I can't do that, I think as I've only OS 10.6.8 so command R doesn't seem to work.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It will work for that version
what happened when you did it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It loaded the desktop as normal

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, then we have to do it from the disk.
Can you locate the installation DVD then insert it, restart the computer and hold C while starting the computer to get to this.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have the disks, I lost them when we move house

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, we will need them if this next step fails, so Ill give you a link to purchase.
But we can do the repair this way y opening Finder, then Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder
Then you can run it there Bernadette, its not as effective but may solve the issue, and is our last option before having to get the disk.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Let me know the results please