Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have been trying to link 2 Macs together using the firewire

Customer Question

I have been trying to link 2 Macs together using the firewire link but I have managed instead to get the lock screen on my iMac somehow. How do I find the code to unlock it please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 2 years ago.
What exactly do you see on the screen?
Is it a lock or a Firewire symbol?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its the padlock with a window underneath for a code

OK that would be the computer user password
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that first, didn't work

Are you trying to network them or use Target Disk mode?
It sounds like someone set a Firmware Password. That stops it from booting from another drive , etc.. Do you know if that has been setup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No

OK. Are you trying to network them or use Target Disk mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I already answered that

I don't see your answer here. Sorry.
All I see is No after that post.
Are you trying to network them using Firewire or mount one drive to the other Mac using Target Disk mode?
Are you there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I'm here

You aren't replying to my questions.
Just hold the power button on that Mac until it shuts down it should startup normally after. Then let me know what you are trying to do exactly.
Hold for at least 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It makes no difference how long I hold it, I still get the padlock back

Does it shutdown?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it does shutdown

OK is the Firewire cable still connected?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No, I disconnected it when the problem started

OK do you know what system version it was running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its the latest OS, Yosemite

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Of course you will just have to shut it down and then restart and hold Command -R
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That is what I have been doing. All It comes up with is the padlock screen

Even if you restart and do nothing?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, even If I restart & do nothing

OK if you tried the computer password ***** you are sure it is correct then it is either a Firmware Password ***** there is another problem. Are you the only owner of this computer and did you purchase it new?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I bought it secondhand but I have had it for over 4 years with no problems

OK do you a Time Machine backup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I don't

What model and year is the Mac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's a 27" iMac, It is probably 5-6 years old & it's the top of the range one at the time. I can't get any more information as it needs to be running for that.

Try this:Resetting the SMC & PRAM for Mac Pro, Intel-based iMac, Intel-based Mac mini, or Intel-based Xserve 1. Shut down the computer. 2. Unplug the computer's power cord. 3. Wait fifteen seconds. 4. Attach the computer's power cord. 5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer. 6. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears. 7. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts. 8. Release the keys.
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Hello there! Below is the correct way to clear the firmware password. This is the only way to clear that password. Please follow the steps below and post back any questions your might have

First you will need to replace the ram ( doesnt have to be new )

Then you will need to do the following.

1. Choose Apple menu > Shut Down.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Option, Command (⌘), P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on your Mac.

4. Immediately press and hold the Option-Command-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Continue holding the keys down until your Mac restarts, and you hear the startup sound for the Fourth time.

5. Release the keys.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Have just done that twice more & still only getting the padlock screen

What ram were you using? Was it from another mac? If so try using memory from a pc thats how i have always done it just to be safe. Also remember that its important that the mac reset 4 times before you let go of the keys. Just fyi the mac will keep resetting until you let go of the keys then it will boot like normal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have any other suitable memory for this machine. I have held on to the keys for ages but there is only 1 reset chime.

That means all the keys are not being held correctly below is a video that shows how it will sound but unlike the video we willhold it till we hear four instead of two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrKb_cEXwqw

Can you erase the drive or do you need to try and save what is on it?

One more thing. If it you are able to reset it four times and it still has the passwordthen that means its already been stored on the ram. What you could do is ask a friend or family member to borrow their memory just to do this to your mac its the cheapest way i know of doing this.
Restart the Mac and hold the Letter T key. Do you see a Firewire logo on the screen?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have just removed & replaced the ram to clear it, I will go & try the T key now

Sounds good.
You should not get the padlock just by starting the compter normally even if there is a Firmware password. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The T key still resulted in the padlock screen, not had the firewire symbol.

OK can you erase the drive?
Or do you need to save what is on it?
Correct. Because doing the T is only to have your Mac in disk mode. This lock will not come off till we clear it out of the system the way i described. Below is another link showing the steps i posted are correct for removing the firmware password.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/78792/How+do+I+reset+the+firmware+password+on+my+MacBook+Pro
Do you have a Snow Leopard disk?
If you try to boot from that and you still get the padlock then follow the instructions here to try and remove the Firmware password: http://osxdaily.com/2015/01/28/forgot-mac-firmware-password-what-now/