Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

My I Pad ran out of charge but when I plugged in the charger

My I Pad ran out of charge but when I plugged in the charger it continually goes through the start up procedure, goes to the main screen showing 1% and switches off only to go through the procedure again and again. I am unable to switch it off to give it a chance to charge. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Can you please hold the power and home button on the iPad for about 10 seconds until the apple logo appears, then release the buttons.
Let the iPad restart and check if it now starts.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried that. It does restart but when the home screen comes up it shows 1% and switches its self off only to go through the start up procedure again

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
You will have to try then to reset the iPad.
To do the reset
Connect the iPad to the computer and open itunes
Hold the power and home button down until you see
"iTunes has detected an iPad in recovery mode..."
Click Restore iPad, let this complete and tell me if it now starts.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am not currently at home to try this. I will try this evening and contact you again then if this is ok?

Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thats ok Paul, though if it does not start after doing this, the mainboard has shorted out in the iPad and the iPad would need to be replaced as we would then have ruled out the firmware as the issue, confirming a hardware problem.
The warranty if it has not expired would cover this. But any problems later, you can let me know here, there is no time limit on this.
If you have continued problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Hi Paul,
How did you go?