Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

My imac won't switch on, completely dead!. I have removed all

My imac won't switch on, completely dead!. I have removed all leads from printers etc but still no luck. Can you help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
What exactly happens when you turn on the iMac?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Richard

Nothing happens, it won't switch on at all

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Good that you removed all leads, leave them removed including memory sticks ect including the power cable.
Then hold the power button down for 30 seconds then release.
Connect the power cable
Then try to turn on the iMac and tell me what then happens please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still nothing

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Press the power button on your Mac while Pressing and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, which is the option button? should I plug in the keyboard or still use the bluetooth keyboard

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Please plug the wired keyboard
If you do not see a key with the word Option on it, then use the key with the word ALT
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still nothing, or should I keep the buttons pressed for longer

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
No we have confirmed the problem
It is the internal power supply that has faulted and will need to be replaced, we have removed all other causes for this. This is a hardware component in the iMac
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the iMac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.