Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a 16GB iPad 3 version IOS 6. I bought (as recommended

I have a 16GB iPad 3 version IOS 6. I bought (as recommended by staff in Dixon's) a 64GB SanDisk wireless Flash drive (iPad compatible) to download the tons of photos I have on the iPad. The drive is fully charged but whenever I connect to my iPad using the iPad camera connection kit the screen displays " the connected USB device requires too much power" so I'm stumped! Help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
The reason is that the iPad's dock connector USB port doesn't give enough power to use some devices that requires too much power especially the one like wireless flash drive with internal battery. When you connect it to your iPad, the device is trying to draw too much power to charge itself.
You can't charge it using your iPad, but you can use it without plugging it to your iPad using the Camera Connection Kit.
Turn on the wireless flash drive, then on your iPad goto Settings > WiFi and it will show the WiFi network of the device there. Connect it to it. Check the manual came with it to know its password.
After connecting, launch the SanDisk app and does it recognize it ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Heather, what you want to do is charge the device using your PC or USB power adapter (if any) and then you can connect your iPad to that device using WiFi connection.
It work wirelessly. You don't have to connect it to your iPad physically with the camera connection kit.
To turn on WiFi on that device, press the button on it until both the Blue and ***** *****ght turns on. Then on your iPad goto Settings > WiFi and you will find the WiFi point of this device there. Then select it to connect and enter the default password. Each device has unique WiFi password, so check the manual or the box of it to find out the WiFi password.
After connecting via WiFi, open the SanDisk app and it will recognize it. Let me know if it still not working.
(Only rate the answer after we've solved the problem)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done as suggested. The app acknowledges the wifi existence but will not connect to it
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you connect to it ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just displays the continually revolving waiting symbol
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is trying to connect. Are you trying to connect within that SanDisk app or from Settings > WiFi of iPad ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I switched on the flash drive, opened the app and got that resultI haven't had to tap in my wifi password ***** anything as it is already active on my iPad.Sorry if I'm being a bit dense about this!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You have to connect your iPad to it first. Then only you will see it under San Disk app
Open the Settings app (not the San Disk app). In Settings, select WiFi and it will show all the WiFi networks available.
You will find the San Disk Device there. So touch it. This will connect to it. If it asks for password, enter its password.
Now, open the SanDisk app and does it recognize it ?
Remember, press and hold down the button on that device until it turns on both blue and ***** *****ght. Let me know how it goes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Heather, see this video --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHZXfuPNlt8&spfreload=10
Let me know if you have any difficulty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Woohoo - it works! Thank you sooooo much!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome Heather :)
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as Good or Excellent Service (4 or 5 stars) and click Submit. Then only I will get credit for helping you. Bonuses and High marks on the surveys you get from JustAnswer are greatly appreciated.
Have a great day,
Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc