Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Why do hd movies downloaded from i-tunes store not play on

Customer Question

why do hd movies downloaded from i-tunes store not play on anymore my macbook air ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What happens when you play them ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sometimes a hd movie will play for 1 minute then blank black screen. trying another hd movie only results with a blackscreen. the play, forward, back symbols don't respond and there are no messages of any kind. non hd movies seem to play ok.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also, do you use any Adobe applications ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

file://localhost/Users/grahamgray/Downloads/AdobeFlashPlayer_18au_a_install-2.dmg

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What version of OS X are you using ? Check it from Apple menu > About This Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thought has sent this- 10.8.5

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down your Mac
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Then go to Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, select your hard disk in left column (the first one in the list will be your hard disk), then Repair Permission. After that click Verify Disk and if asked to repair, click Repair Disk.
After that, open iTunes and play HD videos.
If you are still unable to play it, Open iTunes, click iTunes menu and select Preferences. Under Playback change Preferred Video Version from HD 1080 to HD 720. Then play them. Are you able to play them ? If so, you can change it back to 1080p HD and play again.
Please let me know if that didn't work so we can continue troubleshooting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello Ashik. followed your instructions and no appreciable difference. after restarting having followed the keys, disk repair, and HD720 routines, the HD video runs for around 30 sec and then cuts out. trying another hd video, nothing other than the black screen appears. if i reboot and try hd video again it does the 30 secs only bit again. did your instructions 3 times and still the same. non hd movies work ok. HD video still the problem.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hello Graham, It is possible that the problem is with the system files. We can reinstall your Mac OS X. Reinstalling OS X won't delete any of your files. It will just replace the corrupted system files with new ones. So if the problem is system files related, this will fix it. This will also reinstall iTunes.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys and this will boot your Mac to the Mac OS X Utilities screen. From there, click Reinstall Mac OS X. Then follow the instructions to reinstall your Mac OS X.
After reinstalling do all software updates.
Backup your important files before reinstalling the OS X. Reinstall will take a few hours to complete.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.