Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I bought a Lacie Share back-up external hard rive with my Apple

I bought a Lacie Share back-up external hard rive with my Apple Mac and it worked well - until I upgraded the software to Yosemite. The Mac now cannot back up to the external drive and I get daily "back up failed" and "No back up for x days" messages. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling - it makes no difference. Iain.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Open Applications > Utilities folder and open Disk Utility. Does it find your Lacie drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Select your Lacie in there. Click Repair Disk Permission. Then click Verify Disk and click Repair Disk if asked to repair.
Then go to Applications folder and open Time Machine. Turn on time machine. Click Select Backup Disk and select your Lacie drive. Close it.
Then click on the Time Machine icon in the top bar and select Backup Now. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It tried to repair the disk, but just got an error message - Disk Utility stooped repairing "LacieShare". Disk Utility can't repair this disk.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means the parition or the istelf has failed. Try erasing the Lacie with Disk Utility and do a fresh backup of your Mac.
Remember, erasing the Lacie will remove everything from it. So copy the important files to your Mac first from it, then erase it and setup it with Time Machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Immediately got the message "Volume Erase Failed. Error: couldn't open disk".
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you disconnect it, then reconnect it and try again ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Eject failed! It says make sure all applications and files are closed on this disk. They are all closed!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Time Machine application and turn it off. Then disconnect the USB cable from your Mac (of the drive) and reconnect it. Erase it with Disk Utility. Still getting the error ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm afraid. "Couldn't open disk".
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and R keys for 15 seconds and this will boot the Mac to Mac OS X Utilities screen. In there, click Disk Utility. Then select the Lacie in the left column and erase it. If that didn't work, then select Partition tab, select 1 partition and click Partition.
Let me know how it goes please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what has happened. Didn't get the disk utilities screen immediately, so have gone in via Finder. Have clicked Partition, which shows the LaCie Share, but there are no active buttons.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Your Mac is supposed to boot into Mac OS X Utilities screen.
I want you to try again. Turn off your Mac. Turn it on back and immediately hold down Command and R keys at the same time for 10 seconds and does that boot into Mac OS X Utilities screen ? If so, click Disk Utility in there and erase it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, same error message. As a point of interest, the disk utility is saying the LaCie Share is "not mounted". It also shows the format as Mac OS Extended. Should it be another format?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Mac OS X Extended is what you need to use. Have you tried partitioning it from there ?
I believe the Lacie drive has failed. All partition issues can be fixed by erasing the hard drive. In fact booting into the OS X Utilities will not use the Lacie drive.
Do you have another Mac to test the drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, only one Mac. I am trying to partition the disk, but it is taking a long time. Ah, now it's failed - couldn't unmount the disk. Thanks for trying, but I'll just have to buy a new one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid the drive has failed. It might be a coincidence that this happened when you updated the OS X.
On your Mac, download this application --> http://coriolis-systems.com/downloads/iPartition-3.4.5.zip
Open it and select your Lacie drive in the left column. Click Mount button and click New Partition button. Are you getting any errors ? If so, then you will have to replace the drive.
PS You don't have to buy the above application, just try the trial version.
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me as OK Service or Higher, so that I will get credit for helping you.
I know this might not be the answer you want, but this is something we can't fix online as it is hardware related.
Best Regards,
Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience: Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc