Ashik
Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

How to totally clear memory in safari. 10-12 titles still being

Customer Question

How to totally clear memory in safari. 10-12 titles still being brought up in search pane. Reset Safari not now available.
\'/
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
In Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu in the top bar and select Library. This will open the Library folder of your user account. Trash the Safari folder from there. This will totally clear Safari and you will lose history, saved bookmarks etc
Then open the Preferences folder.
Trash the file named com.apple.safari.plist and trash the com.apple.safari.plist.lockfile if you can find it.
If that didn't work, then it is possible that your Mac is affected by Malwares/Adwares. This will load certains tabs, search engines, annoying sites etc when you open Safari.
So download and run this application, Malwarebytes from here --> https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/
Scan your Mac with the above application and delete all adwares if anything found. This will find and remove all adwares from your Mac.
Please let me know if it still not working, so I will continue to help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Version in use OSX 10.9.5

Will try out your suggestions and reply shortly

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Good Luck Allan :)
If you have any difficulty, please let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for this delay. I have become grandchild minder for a while which stops me getting to the computer on serious business. I should get back to this problem late this afternoon. Your answer is looking very positive.

Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
No Problem. Let me know if you need any more help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I managed to get some time away from child minding and trashed the Safari folder from Library then in Preferences removed the safari.plist. As you suspected, I did not find the plist.lockfile.

I was sure these removals would work and that you were on the right track, but when I checked in the search box of Safari the listings came up, and it was possible to navigate through many items by altering the characters being typed into the bax.

I went ahead and ran malwarebytes prig and removed two items. No change noted after restart..It doesn't look like we've found the internet file for total removal yet.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The Safari folder in the Library is database of Safari.
Try this. Disable the top sites in Safari and also clear the caches. See this picture --> https://support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/Product_Help/en_US/PUBLIC_USERS/PP453/S0404_TopSites.png
To clear cache, go to Safari menu > Preferences> Privacy > Remove all website data.
Then close Safari, hold down Option key on your keyboard, click on Go menu in the top bar and select Library. This will open the Library folder of your user account. Open Cache folder and trash Safari. Go back to Library and trash the Safari folder again. This will definitely clear out Safari unless there are some malwares that affected the root file system. If that is the case, we will have to manually find an delete them. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ashik, we don't seem to ever totally clear the search box in front of Safari. Every time I type a character into the box after clearing caches it will still generate ten references to past searches. Or so it seems. Gradually this work does seem to lose the references to the sensitive material so there has been a result. If I get the problem again I will try your solution again.

I'll return to the tasks I have waiting and hope all goes well.

Thank you Ashik

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That is odd. The files we've deleted are the database of Safari. Deleting those files should've worked. Hold down Option, click on Go menu and select Library. Open Containers folder and trash com.apple.safari if you see it there. Open Safari, then in the searchbox click the small magnifier icon and this will bring the searchbox history. Click Clear Recent Searches there. Or just delete all the address and this will bring that window. Clear the recent searches Did that work ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is odd. Perhaps I have misunderstood an action but I have been through the actions several times now.

I could not see that file in Containers and when I clicked the magnifying glass above the search box it just printed out "Search the Web"

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What we deleted are the right files for Safari. You probably noticed that you lost all bookmarks, history etc from Safari when you deleted the Safari folder Click on the URL bar in Safari, delete everything in there and press return. Does it show the menu now with Clear Recent Search option ? See this article --> http://osxdaily.com/2014/06/20/clear-recent-searches-safari/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the article. Again it shows you are on the right lines. Unfortunately I'm not getting the results from my prodding's. No messages from the magnifying glass nor from the URL bar..It's almost as if my Mac version is different from the standard version.

I think we'll have to leave it for a while. You've certainly done your best to get me fixed.

Thankss

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi Allan, Do you have the sync Safari option enabled with iCloud ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No Ashik. I've been nervous about using iCloud so haven't consciously used it.

Unconciously, I might have!

What are you thinking?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If iCloud sync is enabled, it will store the history on the cloud and will be resynced back to Safari. Go to System Preferences > iCloud and if it is turned on, turn off Safari sync.
I've two more suggestions. We can clear Safari using an application named AppCleaner. Download and install AppCleaner application from here : http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
Open AppCleaner and load Safari application in AppCleaner. AppCleaner will load Safari and all its related files in it. Select all files except Safari app and click Delete button. This will completely delete everything of Safari (except the app).
Second is, clear your Google search history. See here --> https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/465?hl=en