Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

How to repair disc on macbookair when disc utility has stopped

how to repair disc on macbookair when disc utility has stopped verifying it and now i am asked to start up computer with another disc but macbookair has no slot for a disc
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please if your able to do the repair of the hard disk this way please.
Power off the mac
Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.
Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window
choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.
Click the First Aid tab.
Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").
Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will try and hope i get back to you again thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bev, let me know how you go please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

did all of that but the repair disc is unavailable for me to press as the start up disc is selected

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, try to fix it this way.
Power off the mac.
Then hold SHIFt and power on the MAC, keeping SHIFT held down until the MAC has started as this forces also a check.
Then restart the Mac and tell me if you still have issues please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi i did all that but am still not able to press the repair disc button and there is a warning that the suid file has been modified and will not be repaired

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, have you backed up all your data on the Mac? As this points to a serious issue that can soon stop the mac from starting.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have intenso memory station which i used last week which i presume keeps all my photo music etc.I will plug it in again just now Is there anything else i can do or must i take the computer to a repair shop ? thanks

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry as you are going to have to now use a disk drive to run the install disk and do the repair from this.
You can either purchase one Bev, or take it into a store and have them connect it and do this instead.
If you wish to purchase one, tell me and I can source one for you, else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it would be great if you could find me the disk drive .Then what do i do ? also do you think this will sort out the iphoto problem or should i just wait and see if it does ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is going to likely be related.
Do you still have the Mac OS disk with you Bev? As you need the disk in order to do this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i have nothing except the computer

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, if you do the following
Turn off the Mac by going to Apple > Shut Down. If OS X is not responding, press and hold the power button until the Mac switches off.
Wait for 30 seconds.
Press the power button to switch the Mac back on.
Hold both the Command and R keys on the keyboard until you hear the chime noise.
The Mac will now start in OS X Recovery mode.
Do you then see the option to reinstall the Mac OSX?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry no idea where to look for the option to reinstall
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
the steps are as follows but do not choose yet the option to erase disk
Select "Disk Utility" and click on Continue.
Select the startup disk and go to the Erase Tab.
tell me if you can select that please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No continue on there only open get info and other options
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then you will need to use the disk Bev, and will also need the disk drive.
You will have received the disk when you first received the Mac.
You have no recollection where you have put the disk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 years old computer but can only guess it's a long trip away at my other home so I will try to find it when I go there in December. Can't I just buy a new one ?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You can, I just wanted to save you the money.
You would need to purchase the latest version available here
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard
then you would need to purchase a disk drive from here
http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD564LL/A/apple-usb-superdrive
To perform the repair of mac when it asks for the disk. It needs to do this in order to replace the faulty file it is referring to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i will buy those thank you. Will it come with instructions or should i get in touch with you again?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It is all plug and play, so you just connect it to the USB port, put the disk in and then run the repair again.
But I have marked this question to never close Bev, so any issues at any time, you can just let me know here. This is no problem.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well thanks so much for your help. I will probably be in touch about the iphoto it doesnt sort itself out but at least know i know what is wrong Have a great day bye for now bev

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your most welcome Bev, and just let me know if you have any problems.
And please remember the service rating.