Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

My ipod classic has stopped working and is showing a red X

My ipod classic has stopped working and is showing a red X in a red circle. Any ideas please?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
As the first step, I would like to hard restart the iPod please
To do this, Slide the Hold switch to the locked position (an orange bar appears).
Wait 10 seconds then slide the Hold switch to the unlocked position.
Tell me if it then functions please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still the same, apple logo then red cross
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, connect it to the computer and tell me please if the computer detects it please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried that, no success.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
ok, disconnect the iPod from the computer please
Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".
Then in iTunes, click on Restore Ipod to reload it.
Let me know if it is able to reload or what exactly goes wrong in the process please
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got as far as the Select and Play/Pause stage but instead of the Disc mode screen, the red cross re-appeared.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it. The fact that we cannot get to the recovery, confirms it is the memory that shorts out, and causes the device to reset.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to replace the iPod. I doubt the warranty is still valid on it and a repair for this is not possible (it is not cost effective so they do not do this)
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Richard. It is a few years old so I am not altogether surprised. Thanks for trying.
David