Richard, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple Computers Specialist
32989067

How do I remove an "out of office" message set up on my mac

How do I remove an "out of office" message set up on my mac to go to emails I received when on holiday?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
Are you using the Apple Mail application ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You said you've removed the rule, so do you mean it is still sending out 'out of office' message ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Who is your email provider ? Gmail, Yahoo etc
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I use Hotmail and Gmail, the problem is only with the Gmail account. My opperating system is OSX 10.7

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open Mail > Preferences > Rules and do you see the out of office rule there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, there are no rules, in the 'rules tab' section

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means the Mail preferences are corrupted. We may need to reset Mail. But we can first reset the rules without deleting Mailboxes.
Close Mail. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your Keyboard, click on Go menu and select Library. This will open the Library folder.
Then open Mail folder, open V2 folder, Open MailData folder and trash the file named SyncedRules.plist.
Then open Mail and send a test mail from your Hotmail and see if you are getting the auto reply.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
And do this also. In Finder, hold down Option key click on Go menu and select Library. Then open Containers folder. Open com.apple.mail folder.
Open Data > Library > Preferences folder and trash the file named com.apple.mail.plist
Check Mail. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I have done as you suggested but I do not have a file named con.apple.mail.plist

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is com.apple.mail.plist
Make sure you are looking at right location. Do this again please.
In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Then open Containers folder in Libray folder. Open com.apple.mail folder.
Open Data folder, open Library folder, open Preferences folder and do you see the com.apple.mail.plist file there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I tried it again but the only folders there are: com.apple.Preview

- com.apple.TextEdit and jp.co.canon.bj.prin.......canonijprinterutility

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Now, open Preferences folder and do you see the com.apple.mail.plist file there ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to find and trash the SyncedRules.plist file ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No I could not find it

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets do this step by step. Close Mail. Then in Finder, click on Go menu and select Library folder. In Library folder, do you see the Mail folder ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do this. Close Mail. Then in Finder, hold down Option key on your keyboard and while holding down click on Go menu and select Library folder. In Library folder, open Mail folder. Then open V2 folder, Open MailData and what files do you see there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there are 17 files what do i do now

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you see SyncedRules.plist file there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then we will have to delete Gmail inbox from Mail and add it again. Are all your emails are stored on Gmail server ? Check it from www.gmail.com If they are there, then open Mail. Click on Mail menu and select Preferences. Under Accounts, select your Gmail account and click the - button to delete it. Then restart Mail. Open Preferences and add the Gmail account back. Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have done this but sent an email and still get the out of office message

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Go to www.gmail.com on Safari. In the top-right, click the gear Settings.Select Settings from the drop down menu. Scroll down to the Vacation responder section (stay in the "General" tab). Is it set to on ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can no find a do not have a Vacation responder section, I opened up advanced menu as well

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is not on Mail but on www.gmail.com website. Click this website --> https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#settings/general Scroll to the bottom and do you see it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I've found it there is no message and it is set to off

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is confirmed that the issue is with Mail. We will have to reset Mail completely. This will delete everything from the Mail completely and you have to setup both accounts again ? Is that Ok ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I agree for the remote tech support, can you confirm will you be able to keep all the emails in their current locations from both accounts?

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Since you are not able to find the rules files, we will have to reset the Mail. But as long as the emails are on the Gmail or Hotmail server, you don't have to worry. They will be redownlaoded from the server. Check if your hotmail server and see if they are there, from www.hotmail.com With remote support, I will try my best to fix without deleting the emails. I can't guarantee because the files we needed to delete is not there, so we might end up with resetting Mail.Let me know..
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I want you to check one more time. In Finder, click on Go menu and select Go To Folder Copy and paste this command --> ~/Library/Mail/V2/MailData/ Then press return do you see the SyncedRules.plist or UnsyncedRules.plist file ? If not, click on Go menu and select Go To Folder. Type this and press return --> ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/ This will bring a new window. DO you see com.apple.mail.plist file there ? Let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neither of the above worked, however I have found the com.apple.mail.plist file in Library/Preferences. Shall I delete this?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Delete it.
Then open Mail. Click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox. Then try Gmail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that - but what do you mean by Try gmail?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I mean, check if you are getting the auto reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I tried and it still shows
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then we will have to reset Mail. Lets try one more thing. This might not work, but it is worth a try. Open Mail. Create a new Out of Office rule for Gmail. If asked to apply, click Don't apply.
Then close Mail. OPen Mail. Click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox. After that, go to Mail > Preferences > Rules and this time uncheck that rule. Don't remove it. But disable it. Close Mail.
Send email to Gmail and does it still shows ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you mean create the message in Mac mail, or log into Gmail?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I mean create the same out of office rule again in Mac Mail It might over write the old rule. Then disable that rule and it might permanently disable the old rule as well.
To do that, Open Mail. Click on Mail menu > Preferences. Then select Gmail in left column. Click Rules. Create a new Out of Office rule. If asked to apply, click Don't apply.
Then close Mail. OPen Mail. Click on Mailbox menu and select Rebuild Mailbox.
After that, go to Mail > Preferences , select Gmail and click Rules and this time uncheck that rule you created earler. Don't remove it. But disable or unheck it. Close Mail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did all the above, but still get the message!!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, we've tried everything so far. You have to reset Mail completely and start fresh. If the messages are on the server, they will be redownloaded from the server.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - can you tell us first how we can save our folder structure, as they contain both gmail and hotmail files. We do use time machine but are unsure if they would be on that?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Resetting the Mail will delete the Mailbox or folder structure as well. But we can export the Mailbox first. In Mail, select your Mailbox, click on Mailbox menu and select Export Mailbox. Do this for all mailboxes (export to desktop)
Then in Finder, hold down Option key, click on Go menu and select Library. Copy the entire Mail folder to desktop.
Now, download the App Cleaner from here --> http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
Load Mail application in App Cleaner and it will load Mail and all its related files. Check all files except Mail application and click Delete. Don't empty the trash. Open Mail and setup your both accounts.
You will not see your emails there. Don't worry. We can import them later. So just setup your Gmail and Hotmail. Send mail and let me know if you are still getting the error.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I need to go out for a while, can we continue in a couple of hours, or is this not possible?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we can continue later. Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thanks!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No problem
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I' back again, I've exported my mailboxes to desktop, and copied the mail folder to desktop as well. I've downloaded the appCleaner please explain what you mean by "load mail application in the app cleaner"
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi, In App Cleaner, click Applications and select and open Mail. Mail application and all its files will be loaded in App Cleaner. Then select all files except the Mail application itself and click Delete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I double click on mail, from the list in applications, nothing happens, the only buttons showing are Cancel and Search
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets delete the files manually. In Finder, hold down Option key, click on GO menu and select Library. Trash the Mail folder.
Then open the Preferences folder in there and trash the file com.apple.mail.plist
Then go back and open Container folder and if you see the com.apple.mail folder, then delete it.
Then go back to Library, open Caches folder and trash com.apple.mail folder
Then go back to Library, open the folder Saved Application State and trash com.apple.mail.savedstate
Don't empty the Trash. Open Mail and it will be blank. Setup Mail with two accounts.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Also open the Application Support folder in Library and trash the Mail folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have carried out all the above, (In the Containers folder there were only 3 folders, com.apple.Preview - com.apple.Textedit - and jp.co.canon .... - there was no com.apple.mail.) I set up mail again but when I tested with an email I still get the out of office message!!!!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I'm really sorry I'm out of ideas on this one. I just don't understand why it is not working. You can move the deleted files back to their original location (replace the new ones that is automatically created there) and that will bring your old mailboxes back.
I will opt out and send this question to other experts in here. If they have any idea, they will get back to you.
If no one get back to you, please contact***@******.*** for refund. Or I will request JustAnswer to refund your account.
I'm really sorry that I couldn't solve your problem. Please don't rate the answer anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks for trying
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can I log on and look please on the connected computer?
It is easier to work with you on this. You can see and control everything I do
Can you go to www.teamviewer.com
Click on Download for Free
Download and install the program and give me the ID and Password ***** please so I can connect
Do not close the program but leave it open else I will not be able to connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have downloaded the team viewer, what do I do Now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. the password ***** *****I don't konw what is meant by ID?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
you need to run the Teamviewer file you downloaded, so to install it then run the program and it gives you the ID and Password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Yes I See...
ID 334 162 517
Password v534pn
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI , the message is still there, do you want the ID and Password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard do you need a new password ***** log back in?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK a922qj
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Richard, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple Computers Specialist